Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe your rifle may have originally been an NRA Sporter. The stock work looks like one of the cheaper modifications done by Griffin & Howe in the 1930's. I have a 1922M1 that has similar features but no Griffin and Howe name on the barrel. I have documentation that my rifle was shipped from Springfield Armory to G & H. Michael Petrov identified my rifle from pictures I sent that it was G & H work. The small filled hole just forward of the butt swivel base suggests that it was an NRA stock but if it came on an NRA Sporter it would have crossbolts. It could have been a stock off a Model of 1922 Springfield. If it has the small mortised out place in the front of the magazine well to allow for insertion of the magazine that pretty much proves that it was a stock for a .22. cal. Regardless of the lack of some of the NRA Sporter Sporter features features I suspect that is what it was. serial no. 1277XXX falls in the midst of a bunch of NRA Sporter serial numbers. A star gauge number on the barrel under the fore end would indicate that it was an NRA Sporter barrel. I apologize for long and rambling post but my guess is that the maker was
Griffin & Howe. If you can obtain a copy of Petrov's Volume 2, look in Chapter 4, Depression Era Sporters.

Last edited by Herschel; 06/22/15 11:51 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Hershel,
I do not think this could be an Armory stock. If you look at the first picture the top line of the stock is level all the way to the loading port cutout. The armory stocks began to taper down about half way back the receiver ring. The cheek piece also does not look added. I realize that G&H could add a cheek piece to an armory stock if the customer requested, but this does not look to be one of those additions. In the second set of pictures, the inletting looks way to good to be armory work. The armory stocks generally had plenty of clearance, particularly at the rear tang. Lastly I believe what you see in front of the rear sling swivel stud is a dent from the swivel making contact with the stock. There is a similar but lighter dark spot behind the swivel stud. It is also to close to be the other base hole. But I do agree that it started life as an NRA sporter.

The sling swivels are Hart arms swivels. After closer inspection, I believe it is a Hart Arms stocked rifle.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with John. The parallel bottom of the cheek rest is always suspicious as Dubiel or Hart Arms if other things line up. There are some hard and fast rules on these but not many. Identification is more art than science. That is a nice rifle and a great find. If it were mine I would tidy up the screws, find a top for the mount and use as is. Very Nice!!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know if this is a reasonable contribution to this
tread or not, but it may help someone else. Here is a soon-to-expire link to a Hart Arms sidemount that was on ebay several months ago.

Hart sidemount

Sidelock
Sidelock

The new pictures do show the slight radius on the top half of the receiver ring. I think that clinches this as an NRA sporter.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Has the owner posted the serial number so we can look it up in SRS?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter sent the serial number to me, it is an NRA Sporter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

John,
I agree with you about the stock. My G & H rifle has a filled hole that looks very much like the ding in the subject rifle. I was making too much of that dark spot in trying to identify the stock.

Since the rifles is listed on SRS you can get a letter from them showing to whom, date of sale and city of residence of the original purchaser. It would be interesting to see if the initials on the floor plate are those of the original purchaser.

Last edited by Herschel; 06/23/15 11:06 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sorry for the poor scan, but if you look at the rifle on the left, that is what I believe you have.

Obviously the rifle in question does not have the quarter rib.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gasgunner, what is the rear sight in the picture above?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.