March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Argo44, LeFusil, Ken Nelson, battle, 2 invisible), 282 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,002
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Add another nod for Filson Uplanders. I have had my pair since the 1990s. Last year I put on the their third set of soles. The uppers are still in great shape. I keep them oiled and leaks are a rare thing. One of these days I'll buy another pair and put them away just to have a replacement pair if my first pair finally wear out.

Last edited by Slowpokebill; 06/27/15 08:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Orvis Wetlander(aggressive lug), Joof, Courtney(Patrol), Lewis Creek(defunct)I guarantee I walk more miles than all of you combined. Filson is ok but I believe to be made by forced Chinese child labour & they leak.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I will flat out destroy hunting boots. Had them all including a pair of custom made Whites. I've been using ASOLO's for 3 years now. I put on a ton of miles every year, not only hunting, but hiking as well. I'm done with "hunting" boots. I've chosen to go strictly high quality hiking boots because they kick ass in every terrain. My hunting isn't just in grassy fields or sandy soiled hills. I deal with a lot of rock too, nasty stuff like basalt. Walking the sides of mountains and hills will destroy normal boots, my ASOLO's handle that stuff with ease and my feet feel great afterwards. Putting 10 miles on my feet in a day of hunting is a norm. I should carry a pedometer Ellenbr, I'd take you up in the high mileage challenge. :-)

Sidelock
Sidelock

ole boy, I'll take you on. Sum it up on soil & hard surface(asphalt & concrete). I wear a loaded safty vest & pack in a tread lightly & leave no trace, wearing the lugs smooth. Never fancied hiking boots less the Courtneys. Can't really fend off the parasites.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, you are most correct on the basalt. Some of my most difficult treks were topping volcanoes in El Salvador & as you said that ruddy surface(columnar basalt me thinks) will just eat your lugs right off the sole.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Couple with a good boot, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of a quality sock.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Boxlock
Boxlock

Some People like Fords, Some People like Chevys and some like Dodges.
For myself, for a general 3 season outdoor boot I like Russels. I have a pair that my father inherited from his uncle who passed away in about 1948. They were sent back to the factory to be restitched 3 years ago. Although they are old I still use them on occasion. My basic boots are a pair I purchased at the Spring Southern 2 years ago. They are great for general outdoor use. I would not like to climb mountains, go duck hunting or into combat with them but for general outdoor use they can't be beat.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I post suitably vague responses because I know it's all about your feet, your mass, your walking mechanics, and your optimized environment. A big guy destroys all but a few boots sidehilling. Walking down hill without a good heel, and arch support, jams your toes out the front. Wrecks your knees.
A light person might never even bend their sole. Their shoes sound like tap shoes on the rocks.

So, there isn't a perfect boot for everywhere and everyone.
I wear boots appropriate for the environment I expect to be in.

I typically destroy 3 pairs a year. But I wear them every day, wherever I am. And I rotate similar pairs on/off a dryer.

For many people, the synthetics with a medium density sole, and a molded foot bed seem to bring very good comfort and protection, as well as decent longevity. They aren't old school, but I don't see people treating blisters much anymore, nor complaining about foot ache at the end of the day either.

I only wear goretex lined boots in the sloppy parts of the year. They last much longer that way.
I have a pair of carbon fibre Doc Marten's that have been remarkably comfortable, and they don't pick up radiation.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
Couple with a good boot, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of a quality sock.Kind Regards,Raimey
rse

Funny you'd say that just now Raimey. I was just thinking about some advice I once got from an old forester down here who wore knee high lace ups with unbloused green whipcord pants every working day of his life.

He told me that if I was going to be in the woods a lot, never to wear socks at all. The sweat from your feet will soak them or you'll have to cross a creek you can't jump and they'll get wet. Once wet the socks will blister anybody's feet no matter how many callouses you've built up.

He also said only Yankees blouse their pants legs. Down here a rattler will strike and the fangs will go through boot leather, but if they hit the loose pants leg they'll pull back and not get you...Geo

Times have changed and snake boots and wick away sock material may have changed the rules on this.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's an expensive annoyance to me when I experience accelerated wear in what I consider normal use of a product.
The Irish Setter round toed boots ate into the toe tops in 3 days. So I've had to constantly apply a waxy coating to keep the leather from eating through. And their dual durometer soles have no grip on uneven surfaces.
The Cabela's Kangaroo boots (green colored) ate through in less than a week walking for huns in Montana.
Yet people love both of them.
Consequently, I just tell people, Wear a synthetic/wool sock, buy a boot with a foot bed that feels like it's sucking on your foot, and walk up and over the grip testing rock pile display at your nearest Cabela's. The display can really show you how well the boot will work uphill, sidehill, and downhill. It's amazing the difference in the brands.

I am sooo blessed my feet never hurt off concrete. 12hrs a day in some plant, and I make sure I wear 3/8" insoles. That pounding is murder on your feet and knees.

Out there doing it best I can.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.