March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper

I will say that the one brand mentioned will get many comments at the club.

Can I ask which brand is commented on and why? Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: VictoryXC
Originally Posted By: ClapperZapper

I will say that the one brand mentioned will get many comments at the club.

Can I ask which brand is commented on and why? Thanks.

I fear Zapper is laughing at my Muck Boots...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

No, No Geo.
I believe form follows function. Mucks work great right up to the wire.
Any boot that is crazy expensive, yet is constructed in such a way as to be but one step above a chunk of tire sewn to a scrap hide, would fit my earlier descriptive.

Boots are like fishing lures. They are designed and marketed to catch fisherman.

I enjoy what I call "Club boots". I even have a 6" pair of two tone brogues. They look nice, feel like slippers, suggest I may have other positive attributes, etc., etc. But I know I couldn't walk 60 miles in them.

If you have to purchase special insoles, stockings, and care products for a particular pair of boots, "Why did you buy them?"

All my opinions regarding function only, of course.

There are so many brands available, one should always be able to find a fine fitting pair. Fit being foremost for me.

And no extra care and feeding required.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

shoes are a very personal thing. what works for one may be the worst prescription for the next.

i guess i am and only one who wears them, but i wear lechameau's. i wear rubber boots a lot and like them.

hard to beet good ol' lacrosse burleys.

for hiking type of hunting, up to the worst of it, is my meindel's. they hold up to way more rocks than i could ever ask from a pair of boots. took forever to wear out my first pair and the seconds still are like new.

of course, if it gets really brutal, especially on sharp, sliding rocks, i go to my scarpa inverno's. the widest plastic boot i have ever tried on and if i unlace the upper ankle i can walk on concrete with a heavy pack in them. for side hilling on sharp rocks, holding inch-wide ledges, in loose shale, i just love them. never been chuckar hunting, but i always thought they would be the boots i wore if i di go after them,

skunk out
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wet weather or if I am going to hunt a marshy area I wear the Muck boots. They are rubber boots. They have a very stiff arch. And a breathable liner. They are almost as comfortable as my dry weather boots.

In dry weather I wear the tennis shoe boots. They are made like a leather tennis shoe, only with a boot top. They have a deep tread pattern on the sole also. They have a zipper on the side. When I get them tied to where they are most comfortable then I just use the zipper to take them on and off. They are very light and comfortable. I wear a half size larger in these boots than I do in other boots.

My walks are usually less than two hours. I keep both pairs in the truck and change boots as the weather conditions or terrain changes.

I am glad to be here.
GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a wide open question. In general, I prefer the USA made Danners, and especially like the Hood Winter Light for tough hunting in the rocks of chukar country.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When you have a 13A paw like I do, Russell's are the only choice, whatever the configuration

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have tried a number of boots over the years, and have finally found a boot that is as tough as the country I hunt here in AZ. The boot is Kenetrek. Waterproof,design, different insulation levels, very comfortable and offer a reconditioning service for $150.00. The boots themselves are a little pricy, but well worth it. I sent in a pair for new soles and they came back almost new looking. They will be a little stiff at first, but still very comfortable, never hurt my feet, just not a lot of flex until broke in to your foot and ankle. I have not tried their Pac boot, but my hunting partner has had a pair for the last 6 years, and raves about them. Might be worth a look.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have had these Red Wings for years; don't know what model they are. Love 'em. I suppose they are a little heavy but I haven't gotten to the point where that bothers me yet...

For years I wore these. I still love them too, but it is getting harder to lace them up...

Bought these at Cabela's on clearance; have yet to try them out. Not really a fan of the camo but for the price I couldn't walk away...

Last winter I hunted in the snow with regular old rubber galoshes over my Red Wings; that worked but it wasn't very classy don'tcha know, so when I found a pair of Muck boots on sale at my favorite local hardware store I added them to the collection. Haven't used them yet either.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for all of the feedback. I ended up going with the Irish Setter 9" Wingshooter 808's. They felt the most comfortable and had the features I was looking for. Thanks again.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.