Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anyone bought one of the Ithaca Model 37's in 28ga.? Any problems with them that you know of or heard about? One of my sons has a graduation gift yet to be bought and he likes his great grandfathers Ithaca 37. He already has a Ruger 28 which he loves to shoot so I was thinking about adding another 28 to his collection. He shot a 28 Parker repo today but it does not fit him well at all. Thanks for small favors I guess. I get to keep it until my next sons tries it. smile

I was thinking driving up to see them about having the Custom Shop make one for him using one of my stock blanks and his stock dimensions. The basic model in 28" comes in right at six pounds. Put a real nice blank of wood on one and should have a fun gun to shoot for a long time. Maybe not as nice as the Model 12 28 ga. my dad gave me but close enough in today's world.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not available in the original production guns, only the more recent version. A friend who's a pumpgun nut has one. Seems to like it, hasn't had any issues.

I always thought the neat one, if you were looking for a real lightweight pump, would be one of the 20ga "English Ultra" models. Weight supposedly around 5#, if I recall correctly. Would seem to be of interest to grouse hunters who like pumps.

Sidelock
Sidelock

28 gauge sorta like the 16 gauge. a light 20 or a light 12 are better choices.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jon, I have one. Bought it 4 years ago. Had some hiccups with timing promptly repaired by Ithaca. I think most of the hiccups of the early production have been eliminated. Walt has the prettiest one I've seen. He had custom wood sculpted in the older, more pleasing style without the recoil pad which is unnecessary and detracts from it IMO. I also wish they had a plain barrel model, but they don't. Very well made pump. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have not shot mine a lot but it has always performed well when I have. There were early problems but I think ?? they have been solved. if they would slim down the profile and loose the recoil pad, I think they would sell a lot more.

KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am going to visit them next week most likely. I have ten or so stocks blanks that I am going to take up to them to pick over for use. I am going to buy at least one if not two. I am going to give my son the first one but might buy myself one as well. I have been a very good boy lately. Well for almost an hour at least. wink

I wish they made it with a straight stock with less drop and might be able to talk them into a custom stock. I know that money is often the only limiting factor. If it works out I post a picture when it is done.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is mine. I sent the wood and the engraving was done by the late Bill Mains. It functions just fine.
V

JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Walt,
That is beautiful! I have thought about getting one, but it would have to be custom stocked to fit me well. Have not talked to them, but in reading their website I think it's possible.
Regards,
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unless things have changed at their facilities lately, straight stocks were available for the 28 gauge. I toured the Ohio plant two years ago and there is, or was then, a resident stocker who could do anything you wanted done with a wood stock including finish, custom dimensions, checkering, LOP, etc. Custom engraving is also available.

I was impressed by the level of quality at the plant and all parts are made in house to exacting tolerances. The quality of the work force seemed excellent and they all seemed dedicated to producing quality parts and shotguns. Every gun is then fired five times at the end of the production process.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The early style pistol grip stock on Mr. Snyder's gun is a big improvement IMO.

I have one of the current production 12 ga deer guns & I like it very much except for the horrible stock design. I've ran into the Ithaca people exhibiting at various shoots & have asked why they abandoned that nice early style pistol grip for the current abomination & their only response is that they would make me a custom stock for about $1500 (if I remember the price correctly).

What ever the price, it was high enough to get me thinking about making one myself some day.

IMO the current pg stock design has very poor ergonomics as well as being extremely ugly.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.