April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (fab500, David Williamson, arrieta2), 1,070 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,135
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#409680 07/08/15 03:55 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Acquired a fascinating James Woodward & Sons 12b Hammergun recently. Engraving is crisp and Damascus barrels have a beautiful pattern but what is really interesting is the very rare bolting system.
I can't find any reference to the patent although the breech face is engraved 'Woodward Patent'.
Essentially it is a scissor action bolt, pivoted in the bar of the action and operated by an underlever with two projections which cam the 'scissor blades' apart to release the barrels. The 'blades' lock into slots cut into the single, long lump. There is a 'hold-open' spring lying between the 'blades' to make it possible to close the gun without having to cam the 'blades' apart.
The 1st photo shows the parts laid out. Note the pivot holes in the action flats. The 'blades' are the same way up as the barrels, opposite to the action.

2nd photo shows the 'blades' engaged with the barrel lump.

3rd photo shows the 'blades' fitted and in locked position.

Last photo shows 'blades' in open position with 'hold-open' spring visible between.

Last edited by Toby Barclay; 07/08/15 03:57 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow! What a neat system. Bet it would be a tough one to tighten if worn! I want it!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very cool. Compared to a Purdey bolt, how smoothly does it function?

I wonder if it's harder to fit because of the long bearing surfaces on either side of the lump?

What's it look like all together? Top-strap looks pretty beefy.

Thanks for sharing.

OWD

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OWD, Very smooth in action: you wouldn't know that it wasn't a Purdey bolt without looking. In fact, because of the 'hold-open' it is easier to close as you aren't having to cam a bolt.
Yes, an 'interesting' job to rejoint and we will find out how 'interesting' quite soon!
Once together, it looks like any other underlever backaction Woodward of the period. Lots of original CH though which I didn't discover until all the ancient oil 'varnish' and c**p had been boiled off.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You come across some neat guns, thanks for sharing; i wish i lived closer to you then i could come and work for you.. i feel i would learn a lot!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

D'444.Thank you but you wouldn't want to work with me: terrible people-person! Best shut up alone in my workshop! Guns can't talk back!
Seriously, any time you're near Cambridge, PM me and maybe you can visit.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very neat, Toby. Great find.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting Toby. Early hammerless British shotguns have always been a passion of mine. An incredibly innovative time period. Thanks for sharing, that is a new one for me as well.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been searching for this one since last night, without success. Dating the gun at 1872 (or later), by the "& Sons" description and Brown's chronology putting it around 1874 the only patent that comes up is Woodward & Emme # 267 of 1872. From what I can see of it, does not tie in to this gun but maybe a variation for whatever reason ?.
Woodward was apparently at that time trying to find ways round the Purdey bolt system.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

300846. The Woodward & Emme patent is just avoidance of the Purdey patent by using lugs on the front lump that engage with a very Purdey-like bolt! It is very similar to the Hodges patent no. 251 of 1871 that Grant used a lot in his hammerguns.
I am beginning to wonder if it is a unique action, built as an experiment and then turned into cash. I believe it happened quite a lot in those early days. However very few turn up as they usually didn't last!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.