April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Ken Nelson, Marks_21, Kolar Dickson, graybeardtmm3, 1 invisible), 254 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,036
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
bbman3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I sold a double to man in Ohio and his dealer wants me to get FFL dealer to ship gun instead of me.My license holder says he does not know what to do.Anyone know what needs to be done? Thanks,Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your FFL dealer will have to log the gun into his records and then log it out when sent to the receiving FFL, along with a copy of his FFL. He will need a copy of the other dealers FFL. The receiving dealer SHOULD accept the gun directly from you with a copy of your photo DL. That's perfectly legal to prove where the gun car from when his records are inspected by ATF., Some dealers just like to be buttheads about it however.

Last edited by Bill Davis; 07/13/15 01:34 PM.

nid-28
bbman3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank Bill.if dealer already has gun logged in several years ago for me he only needs to log out?Whose name does the shipping insurance need to be listed as? Thanks again.Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bobby I would say the shipping insurance should be in your FFL's name since it is already booked as a transfer to him. Otherwise there'd be no insurable interest.

Whenever I have been faced with the situation you have, I've insisted the buyer pay the expense of the shipping FFL as well as the receiving FFL. I insist on an extra transfer fee in case the buyer returns the gun to my FFL and he has to book the gun back out to me. I refund the extra transfer fee if the buyer keeps the gun...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is no legal reason for a long gun to have to be shipped from a dealer. It only has to be shipped to a dealer.

Some dealers like to make up their own rules when it comes to such things. The only reason I can think of is that they like everything in their books, or as much as possible, to be dealer to dealer transactions, thus a cleaner log book.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Bill and George are right but I would have both your name and the FFL on the ins. It should be technically his until it arrives but why take a chance. If it is off his books is the ins valid? Almost certainly. But leave no loophole for the ins co to twist out of in case of a claim.

I've run into this several times. It comes down to one of three things. The other FFL does not know the law. The other FFL thinks that he is doing the shipping FFL a solid by making you pay him to ship the gun. Or third he hates non FFL sellers and likes to be a jerk. Some FFL think you can not receive your own long gun back in case of a return. I've done it dozens of times but still run into the uninformed about twice a year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: bbman3
Thank Bill.if dealer already has gun logged in several years ago for me he only needs to log out?Whose name does the shipping insurance need to be listed as? Thanks again.Bobby

No. He logged it out of his book several years ago when he transferred it to you at that time.
You bring the gun to his shop, he logs it back in his book with your information and then logs it out to the dealer he is shipping it to after he receives the receiving dealers FFL.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tell your buyer to get another FFL. If your buyer returns the gun, you will have to go through Instantcheck at your dealer to get your gun back if he has it in his books. In theory, if the gun is unacceptable, the receiving FFL could ship it back to you, personally, before entering it into his books. However, the buyer has to be there when the gun arrives at the dealer.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The National Association of FFLs has been pimping this for years. A way to double their income from transfers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

an ffl is less likely to handle stolen goods...no ffl wants to receive stolen goods.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.