April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (SKB, montenegrin, GETTEMANS, skeettx, Replacement, 1 invisible), 370 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,147
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

1903 Springfield

The results speak for the interest. N***o had it up until the actual bidding and then hit his max around ~750-800. Hopefully someone here got it, because it raised a lot of questions in my mind(not hard to do). I have a hunch based on SWAG not knowledge and am really curious.
Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

What happened to the front receiver ring??
What are all those beating marks??

You think that it is a Neider or Wundhammer??

http://www.finegunmaking.com/page25/page25.html

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 08/15/15 06:14 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Given the bidding, my guess is that the two bidders
had a pretty good idea who did it. With the premium, it was
a lot to bid for unknown sporter. Neither bidder was onsite
so they were just bidding on the photos and whatever else
might have been communicated via phone prior to the auction.

The action is too late to be a Wundhammer and the tang doesn't
look reshaped either. My guess is a Mielcarek, based on some
similarities that I see from this prior thread.

Mielcarek

Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike,
From the pictures, I get the impression that the rifle was originally stocked with the issue sight. If I am seeing correctly, it looks like there are gaps where the sight fit in the stock. I could be dead wrong. However, if I am correct, perhaps some ham fisted individual banged up the receiver ring removing it with the Lyman being installed at a later date. I just can't tell for sure from the pictures. Neither of those makers were my SWAG.

PhysDoc

Joe's post from a couple of months ago was the only thing I could find similar after a day of searching this site and going through Michael's books and others. Swag was what I have to term it, since I didn't have much else to go on. I had hoped the receiver and other minor issues might have kept bidders away. LOL, good thing I didn't play the ponies on the same hunch. The odd inlay on the left made me pause but I could find nothing else to tie it to. Hope we find out.

Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, unfortunately in this game, we don't always have too many
examples to go with. Here is a link to Michael's Mielcarek
which, if I understand things correctly, is unmarked.
I gather that Michael attributed it to Mielcarek because it is
virtually identical to the drawing that Joe posted from Michael's collection

Mielcarek

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PhysDoc

Mielcarek

Wundhammer, I agree but I can't get past the shape of the grip, comb, and cheek piece to agree on Mielcarek.......unless you see something I don't.

Last edited by texraid; 08/15/15 11:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: texraid
Originally Posted By: PhysDoc

Mielcarek

Wundhammer, I agree but I can't get past the shape of the grip, comb, and cheek piece to agree on Mielcarek.......unless you see something I don't.

Hi Art,

Every time, I have a theory, I try to find faults with it. You've hit on
every major fault, especially the cheekpiece. Also, Michael's Micarek also had a barrel band, which the one on proxibid lacks.

As for why I think it could be a Mielcarek, I am basing that on the overall
similarities in overall stock shape, both also possess a dip in the stock
on the left side of the receiver ring like found on Winchester Model 70 stocks.
Both have early very long Lyman 48, both have hook swivels, both have some sort
of plug to cover a recoil lug. Though on Michael's rifle, the recoil lug is
located almost directly under the bolt release. On the rifle on proxibid has an
inlay a bit further back which I presume covers a recoil lug.

Please bear in mind, that I am only offering my opinion, which I hold at best
loosely. Feel very free to disagree with me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My thoughts on the plug that is just in front of the rear action screw is that it's either a wooden dowel installed there to repair an internal crack or check , or more likely, since it doesn't go through to the right side, a wood screw installed for the same repair, and the head covered with a wooden plug.
The recoil lug on Springfields is under the front receiver ring, as in the picture of Michael's Mielcarek

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.