April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (JDH, Argo44, Ted Schefelbein, dukxdog), 225 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,440
Posts544,756
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Pulled the stock. Someone switched stocks recently. Reinlet trigger and cleaned it. It works now. If it gives me any more problems I'll send it out.

Now I need to make a j spring for the forend. Someone expert put a beaver tail forend on this gun and it must have needed more holding power than the j spring could provide. Someone made a half arse one I think to give more holding force. It's trashed now. Beavertails don't work well with j hook springs. I've seen several lugs loosened by trying to beef up the spring. But if I can get it back to original size I've got a solution.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a nice 3E 20ga NID that Gunter Pfrommer restocked and refinished. It was one of my efforts to save the bones of a once nice gun. The gun had a Miller design factory Ithaca built trigger like below. I thought the gun was worth saving with the original trigger. When it started doubling, I called Dan May and we discussed the issue. I also wanted to restore the shape of the trigger shoe to the original. In the second picture, you can see the hack job someone long ago did to move the shoe rearward rather than the OEM mid position it was built with. Dan and his crew did a fantastic job of rebuilding the trigger and restoring the shoe configuration. Very pleased.
http://s90.photobucket.com/user/poacher110/media/HOT-%20Miller%20Trigger/Miller.jpg.html

Last edited by Chuck H; 08/21/15 10:07 AM.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

how many wonderful english single triggers worked for the long haul.i have read stories of overly complicated rube goldberg contraptions driving there owners crazy. but they are english by god so there you ave it.

Last edited by mc; 08/23/15 01:01 AM.
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Years ago a mentor told me to not buy English single triggers, Italian double triggers or any but the very best Spanish guns. Such advise has saved me from many an impulse buy which I might have regretted. If only he had been so helpful with advise on stocks or the ladies. But even the best experts are limited in their areas of knowledge.

What I have learned about triggers is to leave them alone at all cost, when possible. If it works it works and you can not improve on that. If it does not work send it out because they can be a cast iron (censored) to get working and impossible when you have not got a clue. Ask for advise on who to send it to because they are like cars. Yes everyone can work on them but not everyone can fix them correctly and fixed correctly is the only way. And like most repairs in life the fewer people who fix something the more likely it will remain fixed. Or if someones been there before, you start by undoing their work first and then fixing the real problem, because if they "fixed" it and it still does not work they did not "fix" it or you would not be there in the first place.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dan it was good seeing you again even though you were on your way out and I and Roger were going in to the Pratt House on Saturday.
You and Ken do a great service and wish you continued success.

David

cgs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you David. Hopefully next year I will not be so busy and will partake in more of the festivities. Was nice to see you though. Well wishes accepted and appreciated!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I should have posted the before and after pix of Dan's shop's work on restoring the trigger shoe to its original configuration.

Before

Reference from Walt's book.

After

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.