April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jem Finch, earlyriser, 67galaxie, Hugh Lomas, 1 invisible), 1,051 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,121
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have an opportunity to buy a 20 ga Grade 2 LC Smith. I have heard the Hunter One Trigger is often problematic and there are few gunsmiths willing/able to work on them. Please chime in! Thank you! Gil

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

See if the seller will allow you test fire it first- a Grade 2 20 will have the 2 & 1/2" shorter chambers, so RST shells are a must-I'd want to test fire this gun with the trigger in both L and R settings, with at least a full box of shells- Also, FYI- the HOT equipped Smith guns will always have a non-automatic safety. You are right, the best LC Smith gunsmith in America that I know of, will NOT work on HOT triggers- Buck Hamlin in MO.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
KWD Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I really like the Hunter One Triggers I have not had any problems with mine be I hear that Jerry Andrews is the guru on them.
Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been shooting one pretty hard for about 5-6 years. Never a hiccup. My gun, however, is in above average condition, leading me to think the trigger has never been messed with.

I think it is pretty well accepted among Smith aficionados that Jerry Andrews is the go-to man for problematic HOTs.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

They are a complex and delicate piece of equipment. And very reliable. At least until someone who does not know what they are doing messes with them. Even over tightening a screw on the action can cause them to act up.

If the gun is original and not fooled with and clean, it will likely work fine for you.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

My gunsmith thought so much of them that he duplicated several of them for installation on other Smiths.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry is your guy. I have had him repair three, mind you these three were all fixer uppers or damaged guns. The ones I've shot have never failed me. I had a Pigeon grade double on me once while dove hunting but never again so I don't bad mouth the HOT overall.
I will say if it works let it be- throw away your screwdrivers so you won't be tempted.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I asked Dewey Vicknair about them one time. He said they work fine if they are clean and haven't been messed with. Dewey would know.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

I presently own and shoot a 1925 vintage Ideal Grade 12-bore with a HOT unit; this gun has obviously seen some aftermarket tampering, but the trigger units works great and without a hitch. I once got a deal on a 1912 vintage 3-E 12-bore because the HOT unit on that gun didn't work at all. The gun was sent to Jerry Andrews for a trigger repair and I shot the gun for years afterwards with no other issues (still regret trading that Smith). I've owned several other Smiths with the HOT option; and the only problem ever encountered with any was with a beautiful A-2 Grade. If I selected right barrel first, the gun would double; if I fired the left barrel first, the trigger unit worked fine. Not wanting the gun tampered with, I left the gun AS IS and used it quite effectively with the left/right firing order for years.

And as I prefer double guns with manually operated safety slides, let me add also that one thing I really appreciated about the Smith HOT unit is that it won't allow an "automatic" safety feature (maybe when used on other makes, but on a Smith gun there is not enough room after installation for the bar that connects the safety slide to the top lever). So when shooting clays, or in a late season dove blind by myself I never have to be concerned with losing a shot because I either failed to remember, or improperly manipulated the safety slide (some will consider this practice unsafe; so I don't encourage anyone to follow my personal preferences).

Last edited by topgun; 08/20/15 08:57 AM.
Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered
Dewey Vicknair
Unregistered

All troubles with the Hunter One Trigger (Lard's patent) are caused by the design shortcomings of the gun in which it's installed, and/or the tamperings of the incompetent.

It's funny that Lard triggers in Westley Richards guns have no such bad reputation but when that trigger is used in a Smith it suddenly becomes an incomprehensibly complex, unreliable unit that "America's best" gunsmiths won't touch?
Give me a break.

I suggest that you read the Guncraft section in the March/April 2010 issue of Shooting Sportsman. There you will find all you need to know regarding Allan Lard's fine design.

As far as repairs, I wholeheartedly recommend Jerry Andrews. He understands how these triggers function and is willing to work on them.

Happily, my days of working on Smiths are past.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.