March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner, Licensed to kill, KDGJ, Argo44, 1 invisible), 835 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,023
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 73 1 2 3 4 72 73
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you, that would be fun I'm sure. The Ideals are the most intriguing of the French guns for me. Very exotic round-action with that way-cool release on the trigger guard. I'd love to know more about them.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/06/15 11:12 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Each fall limits seem to be less important and the experience with friends, guns, and dogs is maybe more important. In the last few years I have enjoyed some of the older hammer guns, especially those developmental designs. Here's a Joseph Harkom pinfire, 12 bore, that will get used in a few days.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 09/06/15 11:48 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Lloyd3
Thank you, that would be fun I'm sure. The Ideals are the most intriguing of the French guns for me. Very exotic round-action with that way-cool release on the trigger guard. I'd love to know more about them.

Not trying to hijack, but I guess I am anyway.
Ideals are very interesting guns. They are a bit quirky though. Yea they're a trigger plate actions, but not like a Dickson or Macnaughton. They are striker fired, powered by large coil springs. The triggers on Ideals have a very unique feel to them. Sometimes they can be fairly heavy and spongy feeling. They definietly don't feel like your average sxs trigger. The other quirk is that most Ideals are balanced very weird. Especially if the gun has shorter barrels and then sling mechanism is intact in the stock. The balance point will be way behind the hinge pin making the gun difficult to shoot at fast moving game. They can be very "butt heavy" guns. The longer or heavier the barrels the better when it comes to Ideals. Other than these little oddities, they are cool guns. Ideals with ejectors are rarer that hens teeth. I've only see one in 15 years of shooting, buying and selling Ideals.
I'm sure Larry Brown will be along shortly to tell everyone about the safety.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dustin has forgotten more about doubles than I'll ever know, and it was in his hands that I saw my first Ideal- I think it was a grade 6 with exquisite engraving and a honey and smoke stick of Regia.

That said, I have not found mine quirky at all- I probably just don't know enough to know I have a quirky gun. As to fast handling, I had no problem on ruffs last October, certainly the quickest shooting I've ever encountered. Here is a pic of mine balanced on the foot of the bed: typical 70cm barrels with sling mechanism intact. Yes, behind the hinge pin, but I think between the hands is more important to me subjectively than where it balances objectively in relation to the pin. And I find operating the underlever with the index finger tons more ergonomic and natural than a toplever with the thumb. To each their own, and I love these- so much so that a second 16 is on the way.

Well, the OP title does say game/gun, but neither do I want to get too far OT.

Thanks for asking, Lloyd, I love talking about it almost as much as shooting her.

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll start with a quick apology for the highjack but Lloyd, if we are able to meet up in early October as planned, you'll be able to try my Ideal Grade 6R E/E Excelsior 12 gauge. Mike's done a better job than I in tracking down the 16 ga versions but I'm still hunting for mine.

Dustin, mine's an ejector. Didn't realize they were so rare. I've been looking for a 16 ejector as well, mostly because I don't like the forend release lever on the extractor guns. Can't really explain explain that little quirk of mine. Not the gun's fault.

Lloyd, We'll have to make sure to post a photo or two of the guns and game in this thread to make up for this little diversion.

Last edited by canvasback; 09/06/15 02:01 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looking forward to it. I've learned alot more on Ideals here in the last few posts than I have in the last several years of mildly digging around on the subject. While it doesn't sound like I'm going to pitch my English guns just yet, I'd like to know more (always fun to have something to chase).

Here's what I'm hoping we're going to encounter up there James.

And, of course, the target species. This is my father-in-law's front yard two years ago this September.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 09/06/15 04:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dustin:

Here is James (canvasback's) MF Ideal ejector after I refinished the barrels, including removing the ejectors and repairing them, polishing and adjusting them and reinstalling them.

Originally Posted By: canvasback

Dustin, mine's an ejector. Didn't realize they were so rare. I've been looking for a 16 ejector as well, mostly because I don't like the forend release lever on the extractor guns.

Best Regards,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep. They are neat. Rare bird those. :-). Thanks for showing the mechanism, rather simple aren't they. I don't know why MF didn't put them on more guns. I've seen and had in my hands some very high grades, none of which were fitted with ejectors. ?? MF sure didn't follow any of the "established rules" in regards to what a high grade or even a mid grade continental gun should have. I've seen more Robust fitted with ejectors than I have Ideals. Many more actually. Weird.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LeFusil
Yep. They are neat. Rare bird those. :-). Thanks for showing the mechanism, rather simple aren't they. I don't know why MF didn't put them on more guns. I've seen and had in my hands some very high grades, none of which were fitted with ejectors. ?? MF sure didn't follow any of the "established rules" in regards to what a high grade or even a mid grade continental gun should have. I've seen more Robust fitted with ejectors than I have Ideals. Many more actually. Weird.

They are neat Dustin and I don't understand why you don't see more of them....??......MF seems to dance to their own drummer and their marketing strategy is unusual to say the least...but they have made these guns for many, many years......so who knows...?.....Quality is exceptional for sure.

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,

I'm sure you know that the Manufrance as we know it basically went out of business in the 1980's. But a hundred year production run of the same basic design is nothing to sneeze at.

Personally, the forend lever does not bother me, and I love how I can lock it on the barrels and remove the whole assembly from the butt stock. I don't think that can be done with the ejector version. I have been known to lose a forend. I also prefer extractors, as my empties can be hard to find in heavy cover if using an ejector gun.

Lloyd, here is a grade 6 on NaturaBuy in great condition, with original case (very rare) at an incredible price. Those of us who love Ideals hang out on this site. Slab/flat sawn stock, but there are some great deals currently, that help somewhat in offsetting the expense of getting the gun here.

http://www.naturabuy.fr/Fusil-Ideal-Manufrance-calibre-12-item-2773132.html

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Page 2 of 73 1 2 3 4 72 73

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.