April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Lloyd3, skeettx, Drew Hause, Jimmy W, rtw, 1 invisible), 875 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,829
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

From what I have heard, engravers usually used a type of scroll in their engravings, and it is this format of scrolls that sets each engraver apart from the others.
I have seen some of Glahns dogs that did not look like he engraved them but his signature was there.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I actually prefer the "not Loy?" setters.

They look more realistic to me, and seem to be executed in a somewhat more refined manner.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Nudge
DAM16SXS,

Your final decision, huh? You're "jumping for Loy."

*golf clap*

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Thanks for chiming in. As I said to Walt, I will endeavor to get closer more detailed pics and then come back asking again.

- Nudge

Yep, I'm jumping for Loy.
It will be interesting to see the detail when you're able to post up some better pictures. The ones you posted are very good but when I enlarge them they lose most of the detail.

Best Regards, Dean

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I would have guessed Loy, too. I have no expertise on who was who, but, he engraved a lot of setters, and seemed to push the envelope with his art.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks to all for posting the pictures. These are great examples of engraving and enjoying an artist rendition of pointers and setters.

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have more photos. If it doesn't make a thread too long or cumbersome, I'll keep going.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Marks_21
I have more photos. If it doesn't make a thread too long or cumbersome, I'll keep going.

I have yet to see any complaints about the posting of beautiful gun engraving. By all means keep going.

My guess on the engraver of Nudge's Lefever would be A.E. Spangler, but admittedly, I don't know enough about the distinct or subtle styles of engravers to bet the farm on my guess. I have not seen the particular Optimus that JDW posted a picture of earlier, and thank him for sharing that.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW, I see the Glahn signature, but I cannot see a J. Is it marked with the first name ? There were other Glahns. I have an A2 Smith marked Sc. Glahn for Scribed by Glahn or something similar. No first name or initial.

Another thought, many guns in England had multiple engravers, so it's possible American guns could have too. That may be a reason you are wondering about the dogs being J. Glahn's work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl, Jacob Glahn went to Hunter Arms in Fulton from Syracuse in 1893 with his 3 sons. In the obituary for Jacob who died in 1902 said he took control of the engraving department with his sons Theodore and Augustus. I never saw any mention of any work his sons did there. I know one engraved for Colt and another one engraved I believe a pistol for then President Teddy Roosevelt.

In comparing this signed Glahn engraving, the dog in the background does not look like his style (maybe a bad day, no erasing here)

This unmarked grade Syracuse L.C. Smith is Glahn.

This is the left lock showing Glahn's name to the left of the sear axle. (hold Ctrl and then hit + to enlarge, just don't forget to hit Ctrl - to reduce back to normal)

I have seen a few guns with Glahn SC on them and the one by Spangler SC. The SC stands for sculpted.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW, here's a Glahn signed A2. It would be difficult for me to say the signed Glahn gun with deeper relief and gold was done by the same person that did this gun. But , I guess if you were good, you could do several styles. This gun is Ser. No. 1965, but as I recall the records for the gun are partially missing, so dating it is inconclusive. It does have the 1901 ejector patent date on the forend iron.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 09/10/15 10:50 AM.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.