May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (earlyriser, SKB, Mike Harrell, 2 invisible), 241 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,352
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Appears to be a very nice Birmingham gun but I was unable to locate any info on the web or in Nigel Brown's book's at least at first glance.Seemed too nice not to be in his book.?
Does it ring a bell with anyone?

Monty [img:center][/img] [img:center][/img]

Last edited by jeweler; 09/23/15 08:27 AM.

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

no chimes going off here either...

twist or fluid steel barrels?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Steel from his picture I have not held the gun.

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Most likely it will not ring a bell with anyone. It was shooting sports dealership from Castle Street and Warwick Road, Carlisle Cumberland. Hopefully the gun wears proof marks of the Birmingham proof house.
Good find, I like stuff from obscure name on it, much less expensive to buy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Monty, who built the gun?

jeweler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm not sure who built it . Not Westley Richards . I'll try to post some pix tomorrow or Monday .
Some of y'all experts will figure it out . It's a box lock first class engraving to me .

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm thinking that a customer would walk into an obscure sporting establishment, currently long out of business, and order a gun from them. They, this particular sporting establishment, would contact W & C Scott or AA Brown or a host of others to have it built with that particular establishments name engraved on the barrels?

So what we have now is a bunch of English masterpieces running around with obscure sports shops name's stamped on the barrels in plain sight. But somewhere, in some obscure place, there is a small stamp that identifies the maker of said masterpiece.

Interesting trade methods.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, it causes great confusion. Just because it has Purdey on the top rib it doesn't guarantee they made it. Always look at the name on an English gun as being that of the retailer. There are some top guns out there with obscure names but made by top Makers such as A.A.Brown which will go for bargain prices. It pays to examine the gun in detail and you may make a great purchase. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am afraid there is very little on J Strong & Son on IGC:

Name J Strong & Son
Address1 65 Castle Street
City/Town Carlisle
County Cumberland
Country United Kingdom
Trade Gun & Ammunition Dealers
Other Address 8 Warwick Road, Carlisle.
Dates c.1935?
Notes Known to have sold cartridges.

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Getting information on an obscure sporting goods business is looking up the wrong tree, someone else built that gun. I guess will have to wait until Monty can review it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.