April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (ithaca1, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, skeettx, Drew Hause, Jimmy W), 885 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,830
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I raised a dent in a set of Damascus barrels for a member here that looked like they'd been slammed in a car door. It had a pretty sharp crease and the dent was deep enough to cause the barrel set to bend. I borescoped the inside to see if there were any visible cracks before raising the dent. Of course there wasn't, the metal is very malleable. I ended up having to put the barrel set in a hydraulic press to straighten them after raising the dent.

Sidelock
Sidelock

James' French Roblin barrels and trigger guard with screws are ready for blacking tomorrow. These barrels are polished out now to 1500 W/D and as close to glass as possible with no evidence of the dents.

For Utah Shotgunner who posted on page two, that based on his observations from photo one, there were no creases with these dents and the repair was probably 'easy'....I have some major news for this bloke.

Best Regards,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw the crease in the first pic. Looks like it was no fun getting it out.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug's fame, and clientele, continue to grow. Not to be outdone by James' dents, here is my next challenge for Doug:

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Doug's very good, Mike but when did he start engraving and proof testing? Haha!

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug,

You have great skill with metal as demonstrated in this thread.

But: "For Utah Shotgunner who posted on page two, that based on his observations from photo one, there were no creases with these dents and the repair was probably 'easy'....I have some major news for this bloke."

Originally Posted By: Utah Shotgunner
When I saw the picture of the dents, I didn't doubt this thread would be about repairing them.

As bad as they looked (and were)there were no creases or edges to the dents. So removing them was eminently doable, if not easy.

It has been a long, long time, but I can remember similar threads in the days of gunshop.com and some of the now gone oldtimers.

Your reading comprehension is terrible. This 'bloke' clearly used the word 'not' in front of 'easy'. You take a comment meant as complimentary as an opportunity to be negative. Is your hide thinner than the barrels you work on?

Last edited by Utah Shotgunner; 09/27/15 03:46 PM. Reason: Added quote for clarification.

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, as I had hoped, the story has a happy ending. Just got some photos today of the repaired and re-blackened barrels:

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Beautiful work Doug. You should feel very proud. That's a reward that lasts as long as that gun will be around.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very fine job Doug ,best quality

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great looking job. I bet you are smiling now James!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.