Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I love choke tubes. I have pretty much reduced my inventory so I want more versatility. If you have it done to a shooter by a reputable gunsmith (Briley, Mike Orlen) save the paperwork and it won't detract any from the value when you sell it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: claycrusher1900
I just purchased a Ugartechea 116 made in the early 70's. Well, they money order is on its way to the guy wink. I've been considering adding screw in chokes- either Briley or Carlson's for the flexibility of shooting skeet, sporting clays, or hunting. While a 116 is not an antique nor super collectable, would screw ins negatively effect it's value? I plan to keep this double for many years, but who knows what will happen if an even nicer one comes along in a few years.

And if I go that route, would one brand be better than the other?

I avoid messing with the barrels, always!! unless it would be a Stevens 311 that I paid $141.00 for. Most guns I buy, like many owners I think, won't own the gun until "death do you part", so try different shells (Spred-R & such) or buy another cheap gun to cover your shooting needs and don't touch the barrels. So many times I've seen people say this is my gun, so I'm opening the chokes or adding Brileys, only to sell at a loss a short time later. You yourself said you would be tempted by a better gun in the future.

Model2128Ga

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: tudurgs
Since the chokes will probably cost you about $5-600 by the time you get them shipped, insured, etc, even if you sell the gun for what you paid you will be upside down. That being said, I have had Briley do chokes on two of my guns. Whatever blows your skirt up.

I'm a bit uneducated on choke tubes. But most I've purchased were in the $20-$50 ea. range? Can you elaborate on these $500-$600 choke tubes? All I can say is Wow!
Or is this an installed price? Carlson's charges $190 for a double barrel.
http://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-installation.php

Last edited by Vall; 10/14/15 02:23 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was guessing at $5-600 including shipping. I may have been light.

Here's Briley's pricing

http://www.briley.com/chokeinstallationpricing.aspx

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Briley's are expensive, especially as their tubes are almost double the cost.

The gun is choked M/F, I could leave them alone, or open them up. But opening them seems to cost even more than tubes. I'm not worried about recouping the tube costs, was just wondering if the guns sale price would be less. Guess it depends on the buyer, I was looking for one that already had tubes

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun is choked M/F, I could leave them alone, or open them up. But opening them seems to cost even more than tubes.

I believe Mike Orlen still charges $50 per barrel to open the chokes and he'll get your gun back in your hands within two weeks...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The gun is choked M/F, I could leave them alone, or open them up. But opening them seems to cost even more than tubes. I'm not worried about recouping the tube costs, was just wondering if the guns sale price would be less. Guess it depends on the buyer, I was looking for one that already had tubes

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an 1877 W&C Scott Premier Quality 12ga with Briley chokes. It was purchased, presumably in the UK by Chuck Webb of Briley who possibly is responsible for both the proofing and the chokes.

I broke a hammer and Briley Tig welded the hammer. The repair is invisible.

I have used it for sporting clays and it helped me into AA class.

I say choke tubes have made this gun more useful
danc

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I bought a superposed that had been threaded for Briley chokes, I asserted that they lowered its value. If I sell, Ill probably argue they dont. I think that's the nuts of it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In terms of re-sale price, its likely to be a wash.

The purists among us will be scandalized that the gun has been altered in any way, and either refuse to bid on it or offer only lowball bids. The shooters/hunters among us who understand the value of changeable choke tubes will eagerly bid and offer some premium over guns that dont have screw in choke tubes.

Ive had a number of my SxS Spanish guns that came with fixed chokes altered to screw in chokes. I use Briley if the barrels are so thin that thin wall chokes are needed (and have paid $450 for the installation and five, lead/bismuth, choke tubes). If the barrel walls are thick enough for regular choke tubes I have had the work done at Colonial Arms, (and have paid $155 for the installation, plus about $25 per choke tube).

Your gun, your call :-)

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.