April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Karl Graebner, SKB, rtw, Roundsworth, battle, LeFusil), 870 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,819
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
and never, never, buy a gun without a return policy from the seller.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

My understanding is there are no "proof laws" in the U.S..

That being said, clearly the proof status of English guns (and likely other foreign sourced guns) has a bearing on value.

Would I buy a foreign gun that was out of proof? Possibly. Just identifying whether it is out of proof by measurements would be the first step. Taking into account some loss of value due to that and the physical discrepancies that make it so, along with the effect on performance /strength, price, potential resale issues, desirability, etc, would all play into whether I'd buy it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not relevant to the "in proof?" question, but the forcing cone wall thickness of every U.S. maker vintage double that I have measured, a few with lengthened cones (of 1 1/2" or less) was equal or greater to the wall thickness at the end of the chamber. The angle of the forcing cone is greater than that of the exterior taper of the barrel.

HOWEVER, inexpert or excessive lengthening most certainly can be dangerous; a SAC with a lengthened chamber and cones with a wall thickness of .087" at the (new) end of the chamber, with a bulge and crack

Bore view with 4 circumferential "dents" and linear tool marks from whatever apparatus was being used during reaming

Chamber lengthening is an entirely different matter, and the bulge in this Smith 16g barrel is related to a thin wall from lengthening the chambers to 2 7/8". Wall thickness was .096"

Choose your barrel guy carefully, and read the seller's "return policy" with discernment.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ed good
and it puzzles me that so many sellers on the net do not offer a return policy...

Ed, the last time you attempted to sell some guns here in the For Sale section, Dave Weber questioned you about your return policy. Do you recall your extremely evasive answer before your ads were pulled?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In the UK, lengthening the forcing cones does technically take the gun out of proof. This was established by the Proof Houses back in 90's when doing so was all the rage.
However, since there is no standard forcing cone, I can't see how the Proof House could establish the forcing cones had been lengthened (unless they were told by the perpetuator) and so declare the gun out of proof.
Very old guns had very abrupt forcing cones so a nice gentle FC in an old gun that had not been reproofed in the last 50 years could be assumed to have had the FC extended but it would be impossible to prove.

Sidelock
Sidelock

keet: my business policies are not the topic of this thread, nor should they be...

once again you demonstrate your lack of respect for this thread and for those who post here.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Okay, so as I am beginning to understand, lengthening the forcing cones of an English double does technically take the gun out of proof according to English proof standards.
Taking a gun out of proof should also effect the price. Comparing one gun out-of-proof with an identical gun that is still in proof, the out-of-proof gun will be valued less in the market. Correct?

The only constant in life is change.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Comparing one gun out-of-proof with an identical gun that is still in proof, the out-of-proof gun will be valued less in the market. Correct?"

maybe...depends if the buyer perceives the alterations to the out of proof barrels improve the desirability of the gun.

for example, some english guns have had the chambers lengthened. some buyers perceive that as an improvement.

some english guns have had the barrels reamed to remove pitting, in order to improve appearances. some buyers perceive that removing pitting is an improvement.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

and never, never, buy a gun without a return policy from the seller.

Ed, This thread may not be about you but when you continue to make dishonest statements you can expect to be called out on it, on whatever thread it is.

I bought one gun from you, total. A BSS. I called you to talk about the gun and asked about a return policy. Your reply was that you did not allow returns. You then stated that I could expect that you knew what you were selling and represented guns as such. In a moment of weakness I bit, and bought the gun. It would not recock the right barrel when fired, over half the time. Knowing I had bought the gun "as is", basically, I did not even bother to call you, but had the gun repaired at my cost.

Exactly when did you change your return policy? Or, is it still the same, "No returns, you can expect me to know what I'm selling"?

If your return policy is the same as it was when I bought the BSS, then did you know the gun was faulty, and figured that if I would buy it, after being told I could not return it, you would "make out like a bandit"? Or, has your return policy changed since then?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

most european countries have proof laws. we do not. wonder why?

and what about china, brazil, japan and turkey? any proof laws in these major firearms manufacturing countries?

Like just about everything American we overbuild. We overbuild for heavy loads and we have lawyers who bring law suits so our builders don't build the light guns they do because of proof laws over the pond.

As for China et al, it is a silly question

Last edited by old colonel; 11/03/15 08:53 PM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.