April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (MattH, canvasback), 499 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,091
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Could anyone give me some information on a CG Bonehill SxS 12ga with a serial number in the 58** range? How much would it be worth assuming excellent condition. It is a boxlock with ejectors (if memory serves) Also any opinions about the quality of Bonehill. I am looking for an English double and am trying to decide if this is a good place to start.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you're talking about one for sale in the States, Bonehill targeted the American market pretty heavily in the late 19th century. They used more "modern" manufacturing processes--that is to say, more machine work--on some of their guns than did a lot of the British makers. Hard to say how much it's worth without knowing more about it, as well as the condition. Bonehill would be a good place to start. It's a well-known name and likely can be had for less money than more prestigious makers. If it's marked either "Belmont" or "Interchangeable", that would indicate that it's one of their guns involving more machine work and less hand work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

you gotta throw us a few pics man
frnc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bonehill was a very prolific gun maker. His guns could be had in many "grades" from simple to very ornate, not only the Belmont, he also produced a model called the Eclipse (an opening lever hammer cocker). On top of that he'd put almost any desired name on his products. I happen to have some old catalogues of Bonehill products. Post some pics and I will go through them, won't be much help with to-days prices. FWIW --- John

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen a number of straight grip Bonehill 28" BLE's for sale at 3K not sell. With a decent level of scroll coverage as well.

I'd value it as a common English BLE. Lots to compare it with out there.

Last edited by ClapperZapper; 11/18/15 08:05 PM.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

kolhoznik, I can give you an estimate based on some assumptions.

Bonehill is rated as Brand Value level three (BV3) by the market.

Bonehill, like virtually all makers, offered a wide range of Original Quality grades (OQ). One can't define quality by maker name or rate makes by quality. Bonehill was perfectly capable of producing a "best work" gun if anyone offered them a commission to do so. Note that the Brit gun trade had many out-workers, workers not in regular employment, who were well know for "best work." Any maker lacking a particular skill with in-workers at best work level could easily get the work done by contracting with the appropriate out-worker. That said, lets assume the gun in question is a mid-grade boxlock ejector, that would be Original Quality grade six (OQ6).

Very few guns have remained in pristine condition, so it makes sense to rate Current Condition level (CC). Assume the GIQ can be described as having "significant use." Then we can call it Current Condition level three (CC3).

These three factors give sufficient information for fairly accurate estimate.

BV3-OQ6-CC3 = $2,300

Remember, BV is known, but OQ and CC are assumed. One grade or level either way will make several hundred dollars difference in valuation.

DDA

Last edited by Rocketman; 11/19/15 01:12 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kolhoznik,
I have been shooting a hammerless C.G. Bonehill SLE for the past year. Mine is in the 145000 serial # range. I have found the quality to be quite good. It has very nice balance and is a lot of fun to shoot. I think that if you acquire the gun that you are looking at you will enjoy shooting it. The only quirk that I have noticed with my gun is that it does not like all types of shells. I mostly shoot RSTs in it and these eject fine, however, when I tried loading some of my own low pressure loads using the Winchester AA hull ( this gun was proofed with 2 3/4" chambers) they would not eject and were difficult to remove from the chambers after firing. So, it is RSTs only for this gun, which is not a bad thing since they are great shells.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don, I agree intuitively with your assessment of value. However, I find it's hard to get gun dealers that have their British BLE's listed at $3,000 to come down to $2500!

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

CZ, that is why I refer to my number as a value. Sellers and buyers may very well disagree. Price is always what a willing and able buyer and a willing and able seller agree on. Values they don't agree on are only offers to buy or sell.

My hope is that kolhoznik will now have a "feel" for value of such guns.

DDA

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I will try and post some pictures when I get back to the shop. The chambers are 2.5 inches so I don't know if that affects the value. It think it might be a good deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.