Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#427357 11/22/15 08:47 PM
Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We have seen some interesting sights and PhysDoc's post reminded me that I have been negligent on following up with pictures or posting new "treasures" for viewing, comment and identification. This is a Krag I recently received from a Proxibid auction at Kiko's Auctioneer's. It feels nice to hand and the pictures, while not up to Joe's standards, hopefully show the pertinent parts. They were taken outside on a cloudy day and required a bit of fudging. The bolt mounted peep is hand made, as most of the added parts appear to be. It is simple and reminds me of the Rice sights, except it is a chunk of steel vice a bit of spring steel. Looks like elevation was via front sight change or load change. Rifle was not cleaned nor fiddled with for the pics. The white diamonds are "pearl" like in composition. The ring around the front band screw appears to be ebony or horn. Inletting while not smooth is tight. Rear butt has separated and needs cleaning and regluing. No marking as to maker or stocker if not one and the same. As always, any thoughts, comments or observations appreciated.
Thaine

Auction Link

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Thaine #427359 11/22/15 08:49 PM
Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The Bolt and peep. And yes, I need to work on sizing more.

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Thaine #427417 11/23/15 12:41 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like it, it looks like whoever did it, knew something
about metal working and made his own front and rear sights
and probably the barrel band as well. I like the checkering
pattern and overall shape of the stock. Was the trigger guard reshaped in any way?

Thaine #427457 11/23/15 06:34 PM
Thaine Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Trigger guard is stock. It fits into the inletting and is snug enough that when disassembled it just stayed in place until gentle pressure pulled it out. Went back in tight.

One of the things that puzzles me is the skill on the woodwork appears to be a notch above that on the metal. Yet why would a good stocker use metal work that was not up to the same quality? It leads me to believe that one person did the work, but his metal shaping skills weren't up to par with his woodworking ability. These photos shows the inletting. There appears to be what may have been an added coat of finish that run in the inletting. It was enough that the area beneath the receiver is perfectly smooth over 2/3rds of the contact area. Perhaps this was on purpose?

Thaine

Thaine #427610 11/25/15 08:00 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice! Thanks for taking time to show it.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.