April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, 1 invisible), 384 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Could single base powders such as PB and/or 7625 cause rust in the chambers?

Today we noticed a coat of rust in a friend's Fox XE chambers, he reloads with PB. Another friend has reloaded with both PB and 7625 and he, too; has experienced rust in the chambers of one of his Parkers and speculates that these single base powders could be the culprit. Both of these fellas are meticulous with their gun cleaning regimen and do not store their guns in a damp environment.

What are your thoughts on this?

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know why but found rust in two guns chambers recently both using my 7/8 oz loads AA hulls win 209 primers and Red Dot. Rust showed up day after I used them when thorough cleaning After shooting had wiped the bores one pass with Balistol then left overnight muzzles down. Friend of mine same thing same loads, all 3 Guns Parkers. Not bad rust it cleaned out easy.

I can't remember last time I found rust in bores. Somethings going on for sure.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 12/05/15 07:20 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I brought this up a few weeks ago about rust in my barrel with as few as one shot. Are any of you using RIO or Cheddite primers with your PB?

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post424338

Last edited by oskar; 12/05/15 07:41 PM.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Are the powders absorbing moisture when stored (are they hydroscopic)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Older shooters using wax coated cartridges were accustomed to blowing into their gun barrels after firing. Upon using plastic cartridges they found rust in the chambers even after oiling the barrels. The theories on the cause were legion. The solution is simple. Stop blowing into the barrels. use a Tico rod or a Boresnake.
danc

Sidelock
Sidelock

A 7/8 oz load using PB & Winchester 209 primers has been my main 12 ga clay target load for about 20 years & used in many different guns. I've never had an issue with bbl or chamber rust using PB & I've shot in some very wet & humid conditions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

With the big switch back in the 1960's from paper to plastic rust in the chambers became a common problem. The paper cases had left a protective coating of wax in the chambers. Bore cleaning & oiling had been sufficient but was no longer the case. An ordinary bore fitting brush/mop etc may not be large enough to sufficiently take care of the chambers. You may need to use a larger chamber specific brush to ensure they are adequately protected. I seriously doubt this is powder specific.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

As far as I know, all modern primers use lead styphnate priming compounds which replaced the earlier potassium chlorate which was very corrosive. But there are other ingredients in the priming compound mixtures, and I wonder if some brands might be more prone to cause chamber and bore rusting than others.

Oskar mentions having this problem with Rio and Cheddite primers. I have not had any problem with PB and Winchester 209's. In oskar's earlier thread on this subject, I mentioned using Thompson/Center Bore Butter or Natural Lube 1000 which ended after-rusting problems in my black powder guns. You might want to give that a try. It might stick to the chamber walls better than gun oil.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

comments deleted.

Last edited by mike campbell; 12/07/15 11:09 AM. Reason: Not germane to the OP's question.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mike campbell
The principle products of (complete) combustion are carbon dioxide and water. The driest powder you ever use will generate water when you fire the shell.

Didn't you once write you were a chemist when you worked? What happens to the nitrogen that's in nitro compounds in the powder?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.