April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (graybeardtmm3, Stanton Hillis, Jimmy W, Fudd, ithaca1, 1 invisible), 454 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,478
Posts545,199
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#428884 12/09/15 10:17 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Went on a bob white hunt yesterday. Hunted on the Salt Fork of the Red River and on one of its tributary creeks. Went by myself as my shooting student Joe Wood wouldn't get up early enough for us to leave at 6:00AM. And we needed to get there early to beat the heat.

I made one seven hour walk. I hunted eight year old Red and twelve month old Jazzy. We moved ten coveys, knocked down fourteen birds, bagged twelve. Had a lot of dog work; pointed coveys, pointed singles, good finds on dead and wounded birds, retrieves, and ground tracking of coveys and singles. Scenting conditions were good.

My baby, twelve month old Jazzy, found and busted a covey and found and pointed three more coveys. She had some single points and had several great finds on wounded and dead birds. She backs and sometimes retrieves the bird to hand.

Eight year old Red had a good day. He has mastered his job. A few times he ground tracked coveys for a hundred yards or so. He is excellent at finding dead and wounded birds.

Both dogs are French Brittany Spaniels, as are my other three.

By hunting around the creek and the river I didn't have to carry water for the dogs. I only intended to hunt till Noon but I just couldn't quit. I was hungry and thirsty by the time I got back to the truck. I hadn't carried enough water for me for seven hours.

There are no feeders on this lease, and hardly any roads. It is about 3,000 acres with several miles of river and creek.

The old FN did a good job for me, 12 ga., 6-1/4 pounds, 27-1/2 barrels, cylinder and full, double triggers, 14-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 2-1/2. I love the sling.

I got to the scene late but, based on the wind direction, I think Jazzy had the point and Red stumbled on her and backed. Jazzy is on the right.

Red retrieving a bird. You can see how high the cover is. That is a GPS collar. Neither dog hunted with a training collar.

Jazzy on point.

And Jazzy on point again (in broomweed)

There are seven birds in the picture, Jazzy is responsible for some of them.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great days are a blessing. Hope you have many more.

BD
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes it was a day well spent. Good shooting Mike and thanks for including us!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do people give you crap for having a sling on your gun?

Me too. I just figure you can't fix stupid.

Nice shooting.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like you made some wonderful memories. Count me as a "sling lover" too.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't you love it when a plan coincides with good results? Good day and thanks for sharing. Gil

DLA Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Dennis

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Y'all are very welcome.

Thank you for the kind words.

Without a doubt I am the luckiest rascal on the planet.

Have had no negative feedback on my slung guns. Slings are kind of ugly but I love what they do for me.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Now that looks fantastic!

PS - I wish I had slings on all my guns.

Dave Weber
doublegunshop.com
DoubleGun Evangelist
In Charge But Not Responsible
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Coming in late, but certainly enjoy your sharing, Mike. Much fun watching a younger dog 'get it' and come into its own.

Joe certainly missed a fine day. Perhaps Santa will bring him a wind up Big Ben that he can sit in a tin pie pan by his bed. Of course all the late night carousing might be a factor as well, ya think?

Looks like a much more practical width on that sling that the Europeans typically used. Smart use of the orange tape as well.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.