March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bigblock, Borderbill, NCTarheel, SKB, docbill, battle), 866 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My Dad and Granddad's had a lot mechanical aptitude but were horrible when it came to knife sharpening. I pulled out a couple pocket knives to carry for nostalgia sake and was amazed at the amount of metal they removed!! My dad could wear out a whet stone in no time.
How bout yours??

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

My dad only had one hunting knife, a probably very collectible Case sheath knife.

I came home one time to find that he had ground it down lengthwise to make a filet knife. I would have bought him a box full of filet knives had I known what he was about to do.

I still have what is left of it.

HHH

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Grandaddy could really sharpen a knife on a whet rock, and as a kid I was impressed. But, as I grew older and watched him sharpening it (he always carried a Tree Brand three-blade Stockman), I was amazed at how he did it. He didn't try to hold a specific angle on the edge as he sharpened, he simply laid the blade down flat on the rock, and slid it back and forth until he had a very long angle edge ........... it was one angle all the way from the edge to the back of the blade!

Now, it took him a very long time to get that started on a new knife, but once he did, he could resharpen it quickly. I remember that everytime I asked to use his knife he asked me first what I was going to use it for. Upon hearing my answer, he would open the specific blade he wanted me to use to do that. The spey blade was reserved for castrating calves, and was kept extremely sharp.

I also recall that the "German-made" Tree brands were the highest quality, but had very brittle blades.

Thanks for reminding me, Ken.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 12/22/15 10:24 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I cannot sharpen a knife worth a doodle.Never have been able to but I keep trying. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

The first proceeds from my paper route went to buy my dad a pocket knife for Christmas. He kept and used that pocket knife until he died. I now have the knife and it is over 63 years old and still sharp and in good shape.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

My father did a workman like job of sharpening a knife. Decent edge but nothing to brag about. About the age of 12 I got interested in learning how to sharpen a knife and he showed me, but cautioned me to match the edge to the job. That is that not every job requires a razors edge and sharpening to that level removes a lot of metal if you get carried away like kids do. Yeah, yeah, yeah I thought. I proceeded to sharpen to a razors edge every blade I came across. I found that type edge while extremely sharp did not last for heavy rough use and was prone to nicks. Low and behold I found his workmans like edge stood up to heavy use. I do reserve one blade on multiple bladed knives for that razors edge but it rarely gets used. Funny how much smarter our parents get as we get older.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My dad never really sharpened a knife, choosing to usually just buy another one. My uncle, however, has honed his knife down to a toothpick.

I like using the lansky system or a leather strop for my convex blades. Easy to use, hard to screw up.

-Leverhead
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have my late Father's Lansky, but, seldom drag it out. I find it simpler to just hit my Schrade+ (that Dad gave me for Christmas, a long time ago) with a set of Smith ceramic rods in a V block, usually every day. When the edge gets really rough, I stone it by hand with a medium and then a hard Arkansas flat stone, and then proceed to the Smith ceramic rods.
If you take a minute or two every day, the stainless sharpens right up with the ceramic rods. When I have to break down, and head out to the shop to find the stones, it is my fault, not the blade. Stainless gets dull quick, but, it sharpens quick, too.
Dad was a perfectionist with his blades, and you could shave with them. Mine are tools, and I use mine harder than he did. It would never have occurred to him to use his pocket knife to cut plastic box strapping, I do that several times a day with mine.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

My one Granddad was a machinist, all his tools were sharp, my Dad followed in his footsteps- sharp but not worn out- i have the Case belt knife he carried through WWII and used in his shop for years, except for a very tiny bit of tip on of the grandkids snapped off- its still in great shape

I learned early on- its easier to keep a knife sharp than to get it sharp

i have a stag handled Solingen steel bladed knife I started carrying as a boy scout. It got really dull once- a professional knife/scissors sharpener said it would take too long for him to get the edge back at his normal rate. I got a set of stones and worked on it for a long time, once it has an edge it only needs a light touch up after each deer or two.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
My Grandaddy could really sharpen a knife on a whet rock, and as a kid I was impressed. But, as I grew older and watched him sharpening it (he always carried a Tree Brand three-blade Stockman), I was amazed at how he did it. He didn't try to hold a specific angle on the edge as he sharpened, he simply laid the blade down flat on the rock, and slid it back and forth until he had a very long angle edge ........... it was one angle all the way from the edge to the back of the blade!

Now, it took him a very long time to get that started on a new knife, but once he did, he could resharpen it quickly. I remember that everytime I asked to use his knife he asked me first what I was going to use it for. Upon hearing my answer, he would open the specific blade he wanted me to use to do that. The spey blade was reserved for castrating calves, and was kept extremely sharp.

SRH

Stan, your Grandaddy honed his knives the way I hone my straight razors.........cutting edge and spine both laying flat and touching on the hone. He probably used X strokes with the cutting edge leading. After he was done I bet he used a leather strop for the finishing touch. smile

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.