April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (KDGJ, 67galaxie, 1 invisible), 432 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,787
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#431319 01/04/16 12:14 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My bro-in-law has a Silver Hunter be bought new 4-5 years ago. Last week he found that the forend had split completely in half. Thanks to a roll of electrical tape it hunted over the weekend but he's wondering what to do. Will Browning warranty it? If they replace the forend he's worried about it matching the stock. His thought was to maybe find a factory rep to talk with in person (he's in western Kansas; good luck with that!). Anyway, any ideas/experience/ opinions are appreciated; thanks...

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Call Browning?

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, yeah; just thought someone might have some experience to share.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
JNW Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, the one time I had a problem with a new Citori they took care of it, all at no charge. The gun was gone for 4 months, but this was back in the mid 1990's so I don't know if their service time has improved. Given the gun's age I have no idea if Browning is going to help him and he's going to have to talk to them directly to get an answer.

http://www.browning.com/customerservice/qna/detail.asp?id=35

You can also contact Midwest Gun Works which is a certified Browning repair station. They're in St. Louis.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi

I really am trying to help.
Jeff

"We are men of action. Lies do not become us."
Wesley
Sidelock
Sidelock

If they bounce him our try Art's gun shop. He has everything Browning and does very good work.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn't expect much from Browning. I bought a Gold Stalker when they first came out and it wouldn't cycle sometimes when it actually fired, and sometimes it wouldn't even fire. Tried multiple brands of ammo. Took it to a Browning warranty smith three times to have it worked on, no charge for the work. Still wouldn't work reliably so I called Browning directly and they told me I had owned it too long and it was out of warranty (about 18 months from date of purchase). The gun had spent a good portion of that time in the shop and was never right. Browning stiffed me, and I have never purchased another Browning gun. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Does it really require replacement? I've seen Jim Greenwood in Augusta do some amazing repair. He repaired a Parker repro for a friend of mine that had completely split through the wrist. It looked like it would need a replacement stock, but Jim's repair is invisible and stronger than the original. Just a thought.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David
Does it really require replacement? I've seen Jim Greenwood in Augusta do some amazing repair. He repaired a Parker repro for a friend of mine that had completely split through the wrist. It looked like it would need a replacement stock, but Jim's repair is invisible and stronger than the original. Just a thought.

Great answer, if it's a clean split in clean wood, and no pieces are missing. A correct glue job should be virtually undetectable and as strong as the original wood... if not stronger. I find that Titebond II wood glue is better than any epoxy for an invisible joint in clean wood that fits together closely. A correct job consists of the proper glue, very close fitting of the broken wood, and proper clamping.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all. My first thought was that a repair would probably be the best way to go; he just wondered about Browning's policies, etc. I figured it was optimistic to think that they'd do anything about a gun this old. Since Jim Greenwood is about 5 miles from my front door that sounds like the place to start.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't say enough good things about Jim Greenwood's work. He is a great resource. Anyone familiar with his work would say the same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.