April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Fudd, Parabola), 362 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,168
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Would you consider a long-barreled O/U? How about this CSM Inverness?

http://www.jaquas.com/gunlist/Details.asp?StockNumber=137810&StockTemplate=0

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
Parker Repro is not hand engraved.

I learned something new today. Thanks Eightbore.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Someone needs to make a DT O/U, badly.

-Leverhead
Sidelock
Sidelock

BSS Sidelock is in that price range. Or look for an Aspen Outfitting Uggie.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: LeverHead

Badly? What percent of the O/U market would buy it? 2 %?

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mark
This one is sold but I would look for some thing like this.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo...un_id=100646443

Not a lot of those out there, but if you can find one for under $6,000--especially the late ones with Krupp barrels--that's a good buy. Hand engraved, case colors by Turnbull.

Newlyn1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the suggestions. The Parker Repro idea is on which I had not considered, but, while I have never held one, I am more drawn to lighter guns, and DTs is a must.

So, I am looking at a Griffin & Howe Arrieta online, which seems to be reasonably priced and in decent condition, except that the hand detachable thumb screw does not seem to be properly indexed. Instead of being roughly parallel to the barrels/action when tight, it sticks up at a 35-40 degree angle. Sort of looks like it may have been over-tightened, but I really don't know much about hand-detachable locks. Is it possible it was over-tightened? Is there a fix for that?

Also, any way to tell the age from the serial number?

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's more likely the thumb screw needs to be tightened to be indexed properly, however; it is possible that it was over tightened and simply needs to be turned back.

To date an Arrieta look at the four sequence number stamped into the water table and/or barrel flats.

Example: 57-03-205-07
*The 1st set of numbers (57) is code for the manufacturer.
*The 2nd set of numbers (03) is code for a shotgun.
*The 3rd set of numbers (205) is the number of the gun built in that particular year.
*The 4th set of numbers (07) is the year it was built.

The full serial number, in the above example, tells you that the gun was built by Arrieta, it's a shotgun and it was the 205th gun built in 2007.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
Originally Posted By: LeverHead

Badly? What percent of the O/U market would buy it? 2 %?

SRH

*I want someone to make a DT O/U. Sorry about the verbiage, Stan.

A Caesar Guerini Woodlander with double triggers would be a dandy, and would fall into or below this price range.

-Leverhead
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

An RBL of some iteration immediately comes to mind. Should that not quite suit your fancy then I would look in several other directions:

1) an SKB 100, stripped of both its wood and finish, then stocked to your liking and the metal w/possibly some minimal, but well executed engraving also finished to suit your taste. note: There are members here who can do that work & do it very well.

2) a BSS or any one of several iterations of Miroku's that can be given similar treatment as noted above. Early guns oft carried good hand engraving.

3) a Webley & Scott

4) a Flues Ithaca, [perhaps graded #1 or #1 & a half] restocked and refinished to suit you. They are neat lightweight, attractive and quite serviceable guns. Too oft overlooked, IMHO.

You will notice all are A&D variant BL's. All are also well proven as durable in the field.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.