April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (KDGJ, NCTarheel, canvasback, AGS, skeettx), 1,023 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,127
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I wanted to share some pics of a rifle build that I have been working on now that it is in the near finished mock-up stage.

A takedown Mauser 98 in .35 Whelen.

I started with an Interterms Mark X rifle in 30.06. Pretty much for just the action and some other odds and ends from it.

I fitted and soldered on a slick claw mount base and ring set from Clawmounts Manufacturing. The bases were machined specifically for the Mark X action. They make these mounts/rings for FN, Interterms, military 98, 96 swede and Win 70 actions. Very high quality product. So when installed it makes a Double Square Bridge action with easily detachable claw mounts on the scope.

I welded on and finish fitted a butterknife style bolt handle onto the bolt body. And installed a Dakota bolt shroud with Win 70 style safety.

The bottom metal with Oberndorf release and double set triggers was sourced complete. I thinned out the guard bow and made/fitted up the screws for it.

The takedown mechanism is a very simple one of my own design that utilizes two steel plates tightly fitted together and attached to steel lugs on the bottom of both the action and the barrel. The barrel lug houses a spring loaded check ball which aids in locating the plates and also a plunger tube that extended out to the forend tip. Inside the plunger tube is a plunger that is spring loaded and is retained in a "J" shaped channel in the tube. Kind of like a tubular magazine on .22 rifle. The end of the plunger has a thin slot in it which allows a turn-screw to be used to twist and pop out the plunger or push it in and turn to lock it in. When the plunger is popped out, the barrel and forend are screwed off the action.

Obviously a precise fit of the plunger pin through the two plates is critical for maintaining headspace. The plunger pin is lapped through both plates. Between that and the tight fit of the plates. There is NO movement of the barrels on the action when locked down.

I will end up making a special 90 degree angle wrench for operating the plunger when all is staid and done.

The stock is english walnut.

I will next be mounting a barrel band swivel to it and open sights on the barrel.

All the metal will be engraved with just tasteful line borders and some accents of scroll. The majority of the metal will be Rust blued and I might do some accents of case color on some small parts.

The Plunger and escutcheon will be blued so that it will cleanly blend right in with the Ebony forend tip.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

NICE work!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for showing your rifle project B. Very nice work, interesting, and a great set of pictures.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Very nice
Well done, well done
Thank you for sharing.
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very nice work, and well thought-out.

Dennis Potter
Sidelock
Sidelock

Super! Like that take-down device very much.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Who says "they don't make 'em like they used to"? Clean. Classic. Do-it-all caliber on a take-it-anywhere rifle. Bravo!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful craftsmanship!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike A.
Who says "they don't make 'em like they used to"? Clean. Classic. Do-it-all caliber on a take-it-anywhere rifle. Bravo!

I know, not many rifles are being built like this today. And modern builders seem to forget that a lot of it was done in the early 1900s.

The only work on this rifle i did not do was the finish chambering. I had a gunsmith friend of mine who is a rifle guy do it for me. When i asked him before hand about doing it and telling him about the project, he gave me the usual "well... I dont know about that..." And such. But then when he actually saw the design and how simple/sturdy it was, he simply said "Yeah... This WILL work."

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is a very good looking rifle and thank you for the inspiration BD. I have a very nice project coming along and one of my thoughts was a take down (just because I don't have a take-down). The project is a Brno 22H action fitted with an 06 cal., octagon to round with integral rib & front sight Oberndorf barrel. Should be a unique firearm when and if I ever get it done. Anyway thanks for posting the pics. --- John

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.