May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jtplumb, Replacement, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 732 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,484
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JLN Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can I get some advice on your experiences for creating a great place to take before and after photos. I have seen some great photos from folks on the board that have taken before after pics when they have restored a gun in some form or fashion.

I wanted advice on best color background, best lighting, how you hold the gun, camera/phone used, etc.

I am wanting to document some of my work and would like to have some good pics of the gun before and after. Thus far my picture attempts are good, but not great and figured some folks could give some advice I could try on the next restore. Thanks for the help in advance.

Jason

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cell phones now have a 2048X1152 (2.4 MP) setting which is adequate for images to be posted on forums. Use a tripod or rest to steady the camera. If using a digital camera, be sure to set it on "Macro" mode.

For enhancing and cropping the image on the photo hosting site, it is important to minimize unneeded background in the original image ie. fill the view finder just with what you want to capture.

Toesies and carpet in the image, though appealing, are unlikely to be helpful wink

Plenty of sun here in the desert, so I set up outside with the object in the shade of my neighbor's house, with the morning sun just clearing their roof and reflecting off my stucco. Even in the winter (here) direct sun gives too much glare, but the sun behind thin clouds works OK.

I use a dark grey solid background 10-12 inches behind the object which gives the image a 'floating in space' look

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have noticed the techniques for photographing coins translate very well to guns and there are ample resources available on the subject online.

I personally use a lamp (soft white bulbs seem to be the best) to highlight the object, with natural light in the room ideally, a solid blanket for a background and a digital camera. I wouldn't call my results impressive but they have been satisfactory for Gunbroker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael Petrov has an excellent explanation, with pictures of the setup that he used down in the rifle forum. It's from a few years back and shouldn't be too tough to find on a search.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I really notice a difference when people take their pictures outside.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The best bulbs to use inside are ones having 5500-6500 kelvins using 45 watts, which translates to daylight. Frosted ones are great because of less shadows.

A digital SLR is the best way as you can use different lens. A good macro lens 60mm, 90mm, 100mm are best. A tripod is usually a must unless the lens has VR (vibration reduction), but the tripod is still better.
I use the cheap clamp on light fixtures with the aluminum reflector that you can pick up at hardware stores, Lowes, Home Depot, etc., with the above mentioned lamps.

If you really get into it, soft boxes with five of those lamps in it that can be independently turned on for various lighting.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I made a tent from PCV pipe and dollar store shower curtain for diffusion . Task lights from IKEA and Day light curly Q bulbs. I have a nice Nikon digital SLR but I now use my I phone.

All these photos were taken with this set up.
http://www.gunsinternational.com/marksbornagainbirdgunsllc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks to everyone that contributed on this topic. Anyone have any tips on getting faint stampings or other markings to show up better?

Sidelock
Sidelock

With the adjustable lamps I adjust the angles to get the best contrast of proof marks and such.

JLN Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Drew, Craig, and Mark. Pictures worth a thousand words and that pick of Mark's setup works for me. I'll start there but I'll look up Michael's tutorial too.

Jason

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.