May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (AGS, bsteele, Karl Graebner, David Williamson, 2 invisible), 370 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,577
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I realize that the law of diminishing returns applies here as well, but assuming it can be done with a good margin of safety...how much of a weight savings can one expect on a set of 28-inch 20-bore tubes? Also, on a mod/full choked gun, by opening the chokes significantly (to like...skeet1 and light mod?) what sort of weight savings could one expect? Anybody care to speculate?

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lloyd,
you left out the key info as to how much you would like to open the bores. Here is an online calculator that may help.

http://servicesteel.com/weight-per-foot-of-steel-tube/

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

In one of the Sherman Bell articles, didn't they hog out a pair of LC Smith barrels and shave something like 9 ounces off of them?

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Cool calculator Steve, thank you for that! I guess I'd need to confirm what the units of measurement were to use it? (Thousandths and ounces?) I do know from working with English guns that the constant honing of pits over many decades and owners can produce some frightfully light tubes. I certainly don't want to go that far. This is also an older American 20, so the pressures involved would make me need a substantial margin to be comfortable. I am also considering lengthening the forcing cones (which might already happen by back-boring it in the first place?). I'll be working with a very competent and safe 'smith (Terry Nicholson) so I'd expect that he'll keep me honest.

Dan, I must have missed that article. Nine ounces off of even a 3 1/2 lb set of tubes is pretty substantial. Like what? 20%? Sounds like a good way to make #3 barrels on a Fox weigh more like #4s.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 02/19/16 03:07 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

20 gauge = .53 oz per foot of tube when ID is increased by .010"
Therefore maybe @2oz on a pair of 28" barrels/ .010"increase.

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some few ounces, for practical purposes. If you want a lighter gun, this is not a very productive place to start. If you are intending to move the balance closer to the trigger and/or lower swing efforts, you may get some results. Note that the muzzle is the farthest point from the muzzle, so metal removed in the muzzle zone will have much more effect on balance and swing effort than will weight removed near the balance point. Calculating the weight removed is not mathmatically difficult, but it can be very complex. If you want to run some examples, post back and do the math for you.

DDA

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rocketman: Thank you. I need to get the gun in hand first and then mic the barrels to see what I have to work with. Once I have a sense of what is reasonably possible, I may be talking to you. Weight and balance are both goals here and it would be nice to know how I might want to approach them instead of.... just blindly removing material. This should be an interesting project.

Sidelock
Sidelock

According to the summary of "finding out for myself Part VIII", they removed over 1/2 pound from a pair of LC Smith barrels

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=259371&start=40

I also have a hammer gun that was significantly lightened by honing from 12 gauge to 10 gauge dimensions while retaining ample wall thickness. Don't know what the original weighed, but it must have been a similar weight reduction to the LC Smith described above.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I guess I don't understand the quest to achieve the lowest possible weight in a shotgun. A seven pound gun is not heavy. That to me is about where they should be.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A 6 lb. 12 ga. can be a delight, especially when you are doing more walking than shooting. But I've noticed that if you carry and shoot a 9 1/2 lb. gun for awhile, when you switch to a 7 lb. gun, it will seem light as a feather and swing like a wand.

Lloyd, you mention that your proposed lightening project is an old American 20 ga. gun. I have two Ithaca Flues 20 ga., and a 16 ga. Flues that I bought as parts guns. All three have barrels that are ruptured in the forearm region. I have no idea what caused the ruptures, but the barrels are typically pretty thin in that area on a Flues. I doubt any of these had ever been honed, and none had pitting. You might do better to just keep shopping until you find something safe that was originally built as a light upland game gun.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.