March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (eightbore, SKB, steve voss, Lawrence Kotchek, battle, Perry M. Kissam), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,000
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 61 of 97 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 96 97
Boxlock
Boxlock

I cannot see anything on the tang behind the trigger guard, is is a bit corroded though. I'm not 100% sure what the forearm is, I haven't heard that term before. There is a number on the rib; R 97. The top of the barrel is engraved 'Reilly' and what looks to be '& Co London'. 13 is stamped on the underside of the barrel, with the proof marks (gauge/bore size?).

Last edited by Dodgydave; 06/21/21 07:52 AM.

Unclebob
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

=============================================================
-- 35422, 35423; reuniting a pair? earliest extent Reilly's with 295 Oxford Street on the rib.
-- Was a "pair" always an indication of "upper-end"?

(Thanks to Ivanhoe for calling this to my attention). The following listing is on Holt's July 1, sealed bid auction:
https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.c...++6027+&refno=++161948&saletype=
THE STOCK, ACTION & FORE-END ONLY OF AN E.M. REILLY & CO. 12-BORE BOXLOCK EJECTOR, serial no. 35422, circa 1910
Estimate £15-25

I have seen this stock/forarm/action auctioned several years ago at Scotarms. It is a significant gun per the below messages I've sent to Holt's. (Holt's usually ignores my emails unless they can make money from them). smile

Sirs: I am a Reilly historian; I've corresponded with you several times. In reference to your July 1 auction, the Stock, forearm, action of Reilly SN 35422, originally auctioned a few years ago on Scotarms...is the #1 gun of a pair. #2 -35423 exists. It was subject of the below auction. You may wish to so advertise....it's quite interesting and thus it may be possible to reunite the pair.

http://stonehengearms.co.uk/shotguns/
E.M. REILLY LONDON BOX LOCK EJECTOR
Number 2 of a pair this boxlock ejector has 30" barrels, 2 1/2" chambers and is nitro proofed.The bores are free from pitting and are choked at 1/2 and 3/4. the reach is 15 1/8". Although there is little engraving or embellishment on this gun, it is a gun of good quality. The game rib is engraved with " E.M. Reilly & Co" and the address of 295 Oxford Street in London. This was the address used from 1904 to 1911. There is a vacant escutcheon on the underside of the straight hand stock. The serial number is 35423 if anyone out there has or know of the matching gun to make a pair.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

One more thing about this gun 35422 and the understanding of the pair.. 35423 is the earliest known extant Reilly with "295 Oxford Street" on its rib. Reilly moved from 277 Oxford Street in March 1903. The first advertisement found for 295 Oxford Street is May 1904. I don't know why it took a year to refound the company at its new site but that pretty well dates 35422 and its pair 35423 as between March 1903 and May 1904.

One more observation: One always assumes that a "pair" was made for aristocracy..i.e. - someone was carrying the second gun to load it and allow for easy access by the shooter. Correspondingly, one thus assumes the guns were upper-end. Well, these guns are plain-Janes....Why would "Tommy" "the Captain in some regiment" buy a pair of plain-Jane SxS shotguns? India maybe? (Or as speculated two years ago, perhaps Reilly had stocks of unsold guns and began selling two guns as a "pair" at a discounted price).

Last edited by Argo44; 06/29/21 10:20 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

=====================================================
Reilly fakes - Lagopus knows!

Following up on DD's above post...we both agree that the percussion gun he bought - no SN - Birmingham proofs - is a pretty awful fake:

Lagopus offered this 5 years ago - he was spot on (as usual):
Reilly guns were sometimes forged as I acquired one once. I knew what was and was given it. Totally un-restorable and nothing like the work turned out by Reilly himself although it might have fooled a blind man. I de-activated it as a wall-piece for someone. May have a photo somewhere on file.

Last edited by Argo44; 06/25/21 12:54 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gene

Pairs for the impecunious.

In recently looked up a number 2 gun for another member and found:-

Edwinson Green guns 6879 and 6880 were ordered as a pair for “Dick-Cunyngham” (Scottish military family), in September 1913.

The notes are difficult to read but they are steel barrel A & D guns, with “ Boss bites” and “H’???y actions”. Could very well be Holloway.

30 Guineas the pair. £18 and an E,C. Green gun appears to have been accepted in settlement.

“Stocked and finished in Cheltenham”.

They were middling price guns for a Green BLE, Green charged £35 plus 3 Guineas extra for Whitworth steel chopper lump barrels in 1895 for what is now my favourite BLE.

The purchaser of the pair from that family was probably a serving officer (not the VC winner, he was killed at Ladysmith in 1900).

I can think of at least 2 reasons why he might need a pair.

1. Invitations- he might well, particularly if on the Staff or an Aide de Camp, be invited to driven shoots and be allocated the third under keeper as loader (disbelieving “Only one gun, .. Sir?”)

2. Service abroad. If you are hundreds of miles from the nearest gunsmith a spare gun fitted to you would be very comforting .

Last edited by Parabola; 06/25/21 05:36 PM. Reason: Grammer
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

==================================================
Possible indication that Reilly was making guns for other London makers in the 1830's.

Ivanhoe, sent the following advertisement from a 1977 Weller & Dufty catalogue for a Beattie percussion rifle from circa 1835:

Per IGC, and TRW999: James Beattie was born in 1793 in Chilton, Buckinghamshire. In 1832 he was recorded as a gun maker and percussion cap maker at 43 Upper Marylebone Street. In 1836 he bought the business of Collinson Hall and moved to his premises at 52 Upper Marylebone Street.

The oldest Reilly long gun is a muzzle-loading Rifle SN 162 (1829). It has the same shape barrel as the above Beattie - Octagon shading to 16 sides then to round....and it has "Reilly" stamped on the hammer (something he discontinued doing later on). (See below advertisement and photo). Reilly, thus, may have made the above gun for Beattie - Beattie then finished it. That is a very good find and it may well be a solid indication that Reilly was early on making guns and gun parts for other makers in London as has been alleged.

==================================================

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=10247&aid=86974&lid=22392051
A 14-BORE PERCUSSION SINGLE-BARRELLED SPORTING-GUN, serial no 162, circa 1835, with re-browned twist-iron triple-stage 32in. barrel with carved bands at the intersection, the top-flat signed in gothic script 'J.C. REILLY, HOLBORN BARS LONDON', bead fore-sight, platinum line with a pheasant engraved at breech, platinum vented plug, scroll engraved top-tang, borderline and acanthus scroll engraved bar-action lock signed in script 'REILLY', highly figured walnut half-stock chequered at the wrist, iron heel-plate, the long top-spur engraved with acanthus scrolls inhabited with a pheasant, border and scroll engraved trigger-guard bow, moulded iron fore-end cap with integral ramrod throat, plain iron thimbles and brass-tipped ebony ramrod 300-400

Last edited by Argo44; 07/05/21 10:29 PM.

Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

=======================================================
Reilly .577 rifles 1850 - 1858;

Ivanhoe sent an interesting advertisement from a 1977 Wallis & Wallis catalog for a Reilly, New Oxford Street, single barrel, .577 percussion hammer gun SN 8877...which per my chart would be spring 1850. It is very similar to two other Reilly 577 single barrel rifles in my database 10619 (early 1858) and a gun from a Polish site that had no SN mentioned. Note the "scroll guard" trigger guard extension. ("scroll guard" - terminology supplied by Stephen Helsley...thanks - tried to figure it out for a couple of years).

It's interesting that Reilly's style on muzzle loader single barrel .577 rifles was so consistent for such a long time period. Clearly it was a popular choice for shooters of the time. In addition, the patch box from 8877 certainly matches those on Reilly SxS percussion guns from that time period about 1840-1857.

From top: 8877, SN unk, 10619:

Last edited by Argo44; 07/06/21 04:29 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

28 ga, hammerguns and all shotguns and rifles made by hands.
Waidmannsheil 🌿📯
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Campero - 25161 was discussed at the bottom of p.23. There are some odd things about its history so here are the comments reposted:

25161 been sent to me by a number of people including a couple of very prominent gun writers. It is a bar-in-wood 12 bore side lever with two sets of black powder proofed barrels - Shotgun and rifle. The SN is 25161.

Here's the problem. 25161 would have been serial numbered in Mid 1883 according to my chart. The case, however, shows is was a prize given by the King of Spain in Mid 1880. Here is the provenance from the original advertisement:

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/asp...4&saletype=
Estimate $15,000-20,000

.."We are kindly informed by the vendor that the gun has been in the
..possession of the family since it was purchased by his Great Grandfather,
..Mr Juan Agudo Valero in the 1880's.

.."His livestock business brought him into social circles of all levels, from
..contact with Royalty to a long lasting friendship with Manuel Mejis, a top
..bullfighter popularly called 'The Black Pope' and even extending to a friendship
..with Juan Camargo Gomez - a notorious bandit, known as 'TheVivillo' (to whom
..Juan sent emergency funds when forced to flee to Argentina to escape arrest)

"The gun was commissioned by King Alphonso XII and gifted as a prize for a
..'Throw' shooting competition (Live Pigeon match) by the King in 1880. Family
..tradition has it that the gun was won by an auspicious military man who was did
..not hunt or shoot as a pastime; the prize was bought from him by Juan - perhaps
..as a future gift for a person of influence. However, the gift was never realised and
..the gun has been passed down through the family ever since."

Well, something happened along the way from order to delivery and the story above sure seems odd. How could a military man who won the prize not hunt or shoot? And the "livestock business" sure has a feeling of marginality tending towards cattle rustling maybe? smile. Perhaps the gun was ordered in 1880 and not delivered until 1883? Perhaps the original gun was stolen and was replaced by Reilly? Or perhaps the case was stolen and the gun commissioned to replace the original. Whatever it is a beautiful gun and worth taking a look at.

Last edited by Argo44; 07/18/21 04:22 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks, Argo44! You have fabulous information about this beautiful and special gun and about Rilley history!

I hope this gun returns to Spain. 😉

Regards!

28 ga, hammerguns and all shotguns and rifles made by hands.
Waidmannsheil 🌿📯
Argo44 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

============================================================
18534 - 1874 8 bore rifle

Rifle originally sold on Gavin Gardner about 3 years ago. Mr. Malcolm King had some really nice Reilly rifles. 13 lbs 11 oz which is about right for a rifle of this size. Here's the quirk. The gun was advertised as SN 18534 on both Gavin and Rock Island (presumably the number stamped on the water table, barrel and fore-arm). Yet 18543 is engraved on the tang.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...bore-back-action-underlever-double-rifle
This massive 8 bore double rifle sports browned Damascus steel barrels with blade front and two leaf folding rear sight on the matted solid rib with "E. M. REILLY & Co. OXFORD ST. LONDON." and "& RUE SCRIBE, PARIS" on the left and right barrels respectively. The casehardened rotary underlever hammer back action displays gorgeous scroll engraving and "E. M. REILLY & Co./LONDON" on either lock. The engraving extends to the hammers, the tangs, underlever, and trigger guard which is numbered "18543". The rifle features double triggers, single extractor, and non-rebounding hammers. Nicely figured, multi-point checkered splinter forend with engraved fittings including the non-captive wedge fastener and pistol grip stock with horn grip cap, blank inscription oval, and casehardened steel buttplate. Includes a canvas bound takedown case with "L. R. PHILIPPS" on the lid containing a E. M. Reilly trade label, oiler, leather sling, and two piece cleaning rob. The length of pull is 14 9/16 inches, and the weight is 13 lbs 11 oz. Provenance: The Malcolm King Collection

Last edited by Argo44; 07/27/21 06:10 PM.

Page 61 of 97 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 96 97

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.