March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Little Creek, DaveB, gunmaker, bushveld, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 792 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Living in the same community as Keith & Kody is a blessing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete ;
Are you saying you sell much more REPLACEMENT WOOD with them working on guns in your community?????

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Actually, I don't sell much wood anymore. My very best sale wound up being my very worse sale. I visited Butch Sercy at his old California address and he badly needed blanks for the very fine double rifles he makes. He only had 4 left. I traded him for something like $40,000 worth of double rifles (3 of them). He told me he would get right on them since I was getting him out of a negative situation. When the last of the guns was received, it was about 3 years later. When I complained about the time it took, he told me "Well, you only traded." I have not talked to him since.

The trade took all my English and no money came in to replace it. If the guns would have been received in a reasonable period of time, it would have been a great deal. As it was, I was basically out of business for three years and lost my old customers. So my best (potential) deal wound up being a business killer.

I come across some nice wood now and then but basically supply friends who need a blank here and there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

the real question here is did they shoot to point of aim....and did the fit and finish meet your expectations??....I have had guns out for repair so long that I nearly forgot where the smith doing the work was located....3yrs doesn't sound to bad for 3 custom made doubles from a small maker.....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you can't float $40K...you don't have much of a business in the first place.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

my bet is less than 5% of the folks engaged in the gun business could float 40K very long. Look around.....most people in the trade just get by, they do not get rich. Exceptions exists but they are just that, exceptions.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, I agree with you, if getting rich in any trade was what you were looking for, than I don't think most would be in it. It is more of love in what you are doing.

David

CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
my bet is less than 5% of the folks engaged in the gun business could float 40K very long. Look around.....most people in the trade just get by, they do not get rich. Exceptions exists but they are just that, exceptions.

Amen to that....whoever coined the term “starving artist” knew exactly what he was talking about...if the work feeds your soul and brings about someone's pride of ownership it might put food on the table, but you won’t get rich from it....not in the monetary sense anyway

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well...$40K is not a lot of money, anymore, but regardless...a business owner should know enough about his projected cash flow to at least be able to stay in business.

"Gee, I'd better make sure he gets me these guns by this date or else I won't have any money to buy more wood..."

It's a sad situation but it's also one that was foreseeable and preventable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It seems to me that foreseeing someone else's neglect to pay in a timely manner might not be so easy to anticipate or prevent...Geo

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.