April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (j7l2, LGF, bsteele, bushveld, Lloyd3, earlyriser), 433 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,066
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#437453 02/29/16 09:58 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This Quality F Smith Baker just sold Sunday not far from me in Gettysburg, PA. It is a 10 ga. with 32" barrels.
The stock wood is refinished and has a skeleton butt plate.

I am wondering if anyone here has ever seen a Quality F. It was the highest grade made when L.C. Smith bought into the W.H. Baker and Co. in 1877

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the engraver known? What a nice gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

to bad about the stock....

gunut
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Norm, the engraver is not known but I can guess it is either one of the Spangler's or Joseph Glahn. Lyman C. Smith hired the best engravers and both the Spangler's and the Glahn's went from Syracuse to Fulton when John Hunter bought the gun works.
Both the Spangler's and Joseph Glahn did work for other gun manufacturers, namely Lefever.

Last edited by JDW; 02/29/16 11:45 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

I assume the gun is marked W H Baker and Company ? Do you know the serial number ? It is my understanding that guns prior to the Baker Smith connection were marked W H Baker. After the connection, it was W H Baker and Company.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 03/03/16 12:36 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl, the serial number is 2346. On top of barrels, L.C. Smith Maker of Baker Guns Syracuse, N.Y. My guess it is from 1878-79.
Guns that I have seen from before the merge have W H Baker & Co. or WH Baker and after the merge I have seen some that have Baker Pat. and also Baker's Pat.
I have only seen one later gun when L.C. Smith dropped Maker of Baker Gun from the barrel and it had L.C. Smith on the lock plate.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW, I think from the examples I have seen, and I am going from memory, not my notes and records , that the very first guns in Marathon and Lisle were marked W. H. Baker. Earliest ones seemed to have no serial numbers, and there were quite a few conversions from muzzle loaders. Serial numbered guns went up to serial number 250 [roughly] for the double guns.

Then the Baker/Smith partnership took over in Syracuse about 1877, 1878 and 1879 and the guns were marked W. H. Baker and Co. This marking on the doubles continued through about serial 1700 when Baker and Smith parted ways [about early 1880].

After that date and serial numbers continued and the guns were marked L.C. Smith, Maker on the rib, and Baker Pat. usually on the side. That double gun was produced by Smith until about 1883 or 1884 when Smith developed the Brown designed double.

When dealing with serial numbers and putting them into years, one often finds an out of sequence number that does not fit the general understanding. Until the earliest records are found , if they do even exist, all of this is by observation of guns, ads, articles, etc.

Given the above , your F Grade gun was probably made in the very earliest 1880s. But, being a special gun, probably many lower grade guns, with higher serial numbers , went out the door before the F Grade. Also, we find that Baker Gun and Forging Company, for instance, had a many month supply of finished guns in warehousing, waiting to be sold and shipped. So sometimes completion dates and selling dates were quite far apart.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow!! More pictures of that gun wouldn't hurt our feelings.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl, that is understandable about the serial numbers. I have found that out in my research on Hunter Arms L.C. Smith hammer guns trying to figure when certain cosmetic changes occurred. If it were not for Jim Stubbendieck helping me out with dates that showed not all changes occurred as to serial number sequences.

Brophy and then Houchins thought the serial number groups meant that there were guns made for that entire series of numbers, not so as proved by Jim in the records. That is why Brophy's number count was higher than it really was.

In my records I have serial number 355 Quality B (double) and I only have written Very early Baker gun. Serial number 978 Quality A has patent date of 6-1-80 (J spring) and no marking on locks. Serial number 1601 Quality B 12 ga. 30" barrels has W H Baker Maker Syracuse, N.Y. on barrel.
I believe Smith Baker double guns went from serial number 300-9,999. I have serial numbers to 9877.
Serial numbers starting at 10,000 are now Center Draft bar action locks from L.C. Smith Maker Syracuse, N.Y. Patent date of Nov. 27, 83 on inside of early locks. Guns started I believe in 1884.

Here is one that baffles me and maybe you can help. It is a 16 x 16 x 38-55 that has the outside release which I thought was only a Baker thing and changed by Alexander Brown's patent for inside of guard. BUT this gun has Monroe C. Smith on top of barrel (Lyman's youngest brother)
The only number on the receiver opening is 1 but has a 2 for grade.

Has W H Baker & Co. on lock. The 38-55 first came out in 1876.

Dave here are more.

Daryl, in now thinking about what you said about the year of this gun, I think you are right. On the full picture of this gun it did not have the slide on the for-end to hold it on which makes me believe that it has a J Spring. I know who owns it and will see it soon and take some pictures of it. These were from another friend who went to a private showing and took some close ups that I had asked for, but picture of for-end was not taken.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW, if I understand what you say about Baker/Smith doubles going from 300-9999, but I think you misspoke . Additionally you said you had or have seen a W H Baker and Co. double 1601B. Actually, I owned that very gun for a while. I have maybe 50 guns recorded between serial 300-1700 marked W H Baker and Co. After that, they are marked L C Smith Maker, Baker Pat. or similar. Before that, the doubles would have only W H Baker on them with no "and Company". I think your #355 and 978 fit the W H Baker and Co. range and time frame of the 1880 patent.

Your Monroe Smith gun is a treasure. I think it is a W H Baker and Co. era gun which involved 2 or 3 Smiths as well as Baker. It seems to be a celebratory gun, made as a gift, too. It could be serial no. 1 or 2, but most likely the former. By the way, I have never seen another 16 ga. Drilling from any of the companies. As to rifle calibers, they seem to be all over the place in the drillings. I cerrosafed 5 or 6 of the chambers here and found no two the same. Some were close. Maybe the tools of the period were not as accurate as later tools.

Note that early W H Baker [no company] drillings don't seem to have serial numbers. Neither does my Allerton and Baker drilling which is the only one I have ever seen.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 03/03/16 06:23 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.