March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am sick to hear this news! Visited several times on the phone and e-mails about guns and airplanes. Very nice gentleman. This board has lost a very valuable member.

God wrap his loving arms around the family and give them the comfort only he can give.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave K
I think many here will remember a time-that happens a lot on this forum when there was a lot of bickering and fighting back and forth and Doug started this thread-which I still think was one of the better ones ever posted on here.
"Member Pics who is who on this forum"
His picture is in the first post,many of us joined in.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=254657&page=1

I wonder how many of those guys who posted in Doug's thread are still with us.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As DaveK said earlier, he and J.R.B. informed me of Doug's passing yesterday morning. We exchanged multiple PM's sharing our grief and discussing how best to pay our respects to this great guy. Those of us who knew him and corresponded with him via PM's, e-mail, and telephone knew Doug was a tough man with firm convictions. As Stan said, he would not want us making a big fuss over him. But the sad news is out and really, there are not enough words to describe him.

Doug was a true patriot and Military Veteran and served his country proudly. He was a staunch defender of the Constitution, and especially the Second Amendment. By the quality of his workmanship, one would think he was a full-time professional Gunsmith and member of the ACGG rather than a commercial airlines pilot. He not only shared pictures of his work here, but for those with an appreciation of it, he would also gladly share priceless advice. Many here don't know it, but when Tony Treadwell was suffering from his terminal illness, Doug was tutoring him from half way around the world because he knew how much Tony loved working on guns and how it kept his mind busy and occupied at a time when most men would be fearful and feeling sorry for themselves. Our tough as nails friend had a very kind and compassionate side, and a great sense of humor. Like canvasback, I am also kicking myself for not making the time to personally meet Doug. He had called and invited me to stay at his place so we could go to the Las Vegas Antique Arms Show. As I recall, he said the daily trip from his place to Vegas would only take about an hour because he'd be driving 90 to 100 mph. I was not able to arrange the time off work, and said maybe next year. Makes you stop and think about how we stack our priorities. Work is still here and a friend is gone.

As I went through the day yesterday, I was struck by a deep sense of loss, and never thought I could feel this way about someone I had never personally met. Doug and his family will remain in my thoughts and prayers.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958

I wonder how many of those guys who posted in Doug's thread are still with us.

I posted a pic on that thread and remember it well. Our internet community is diminished by his loss. I wish his family all the best during their grief...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I said my goodbyes to my buddy Doug this evening. I spent about an hour sitting on the dock at a pond on my place remembering him. I enjoyed a Cohiba as I recalled the impact Doug had on me. As I snapped this picture I realized there was a jet leaving a vapor trail in the sunset. A fitting tribute, I thought, to a veteran aviator and commercial jet pilot. If you zoom in you can barely see the vapor trail just above and to the left of the setting sun.

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew --
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Rest in peace my friend, SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello,

Doug Jr. here. What a kind post. Thank you all very much. My dad was a special person, and not only to me but to many. I am honored to be his son and to have spent a good amount of time with him enoying life. He loved God, my mom, airplanes, cars and GUNS and was knowledgable about most of them. You can't figure out women and God works in mysterious ways sometimes, but he sure knew guns.

He spoke of many of you as good friends, fellow Americans and fine people. I am sure that he would want some of you to have part of his gun collection. I am not going to keep all of it, for its just too big for me. So if any of you would like to purchase one of Dad's fine guns feel free to let me know. A few you already have. In fact one gentlman is driving up soon to get some of the bullets and supplies. He has alot!!!! Thank you all again so very much. God bless you and talk with you soon.
Sincerely,
Doug Jr. Contact info- Woody1@infowest.com

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

We lost a GOOD one! RIP Doug we will miss you. My condolences to the family.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sad to hear this. I spoke with Doug a couple months ago about his blacking technique. He gave me insight into his process I wouldn't have come upon on my own. We shared some pilot stories, sharing our experiences with the P-51. I believe he mentioned he was a retired military and airline pilot.

My condolences to the family.

Last edited by Chuck H; 03/06/16 04:03 PM.
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I never had the pleasure of knowing Mr. Wooden personally, but I valued his posts and read most, if not all of them.

Doug Jr., as you've noted; your dad was a highly valued member of this little club that Dave Weber had the foresight to gift us with. It would be my fondest hope that you stick around & share some of your dad's wisdom w/us, as is possible, of course.

Very sorry to learn of his passing. Know already that you have some insights none here would have. Know that you are welcome, on any and every basis. Your dad has left a LOT of indelible impressions. All good, as Bill Wise oft said.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doug Jr.,
I think everyone here would appreciate some pictures of your father. Many of us have corresponded or spoke with him over the years, but had not met in-person.
Regards
Chuck

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.