May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (KY Jon, cable, Argo44, CJ Dawe, 2 invisible), 462 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,505
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For quite some time, I thought there was just basically one kind
of G&H single lever sidemount with just variations in the markings.
The first being marked "PAT. APPL. FOR" like this one

Griffin Howe early

Then later with a patent date,

patent date

But recently I saw one with a different locking mechanism, I don't have a picture of it, but it looks like this partial one

later variation?

So, naturally, I wonder how many variations there are now, and the relative rarities.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting. All of the pictured mounts have windage adjustment.

I have only owned one single lever G&H mount. Years ago, I was talking with the shop foreman of the old G&H shop on lower Broadway when a customer came in with a G&H rifle equipped with a Lyman Alaskan scope in a G&H single lever side mount. He wanted to have a modern 1" diameter scope mounted in place of the Alaskan.

The foreman explained to him that the entire mount would have to be replaced, since the original bases were cantelevered inboard and merely replacing the 22mm rings with 1" rings would put the scope too far to the right. While the customer was mulling over the additional expense, I spoke up and offered to but scope and mount from him, if that would make his decision easier. It did, and I ended up with scope and mount for only about $150, if I recall correctly.

My first G&H Springfield had been sitting forlornly around, minus the top half of a G&H double lever mount. Unfortunately, the base, like that of the single lever mount, was cantelevered inboard, so the top slide of a modern G&H mount would not work with it. Fortuitively I encountered a man looking for a single lever mount who had the correct G&H top slide in his possession, so a trade was made, and my Springfield returned to its former glory.

I had no idea that the single lever mounts were worth so much!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought this Griffin & Howe Springfield from Safari Outfitters some years ago. It was missing its scope and the upper part of its G&H mount. But they also had in stock, from the same consignment source, a Winchester 54 with a complete similar G&H mount & old 1930s Zeiss scope. I bought that one, too, and had Safari Outfiteers put the mount & scope on the Griffin & Howe Springfield.

Griffin & Howe Springfield

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just out of curiosity, how is your G&H single lever mount marked?

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

By the way, you might enjoy comparing the engraving on your rifle with
this one

Col. Whelen's G&H 1903

Sidelock
Sidelock

Griffin & Howe Inc. New York
Pat. Appl. For

Last edited by David Zincavage; 03/30/16 11:52 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think both were engraved by Rudolph Kornbrath.

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Griffin & Howe Springfield looks a good deal like Col. Whelen's, except, of course, for the recoil pad and the drop at the comb and heel:

I used mine to kill two deer with this last season. Very effective.

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Beautiful rifles, I enjoy looking at them a lot. I have to wonder why Whelen's rifle doesn't have a cheekpiece.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: David Zincavage
I bought this Griffin & Howe Springfield from Safari Outfitters some years ago. It was missing its scope and the upper part of its G&H mount. But they also had in stock, from the same consignment source, a Winchester 54 with a complete similar G&H mount & old 1930s Zeiss scope. I bought that one, too, and had Safari Outfiteers put the mount & scope on the Griffin & Howe Springfield.

Griffin & Howe Springfield

Great looking G&H! Thanks for posting the detailed pics. It's possible the original owner of the G&H and M54 had only the one scope to share between the rifles. Are they different calibers? What is the G&H number?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.