May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ted Schefelbein, Jolly Bill, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 494 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,462
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#440109 03/30/16 03:20 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend has just purchased this Henry Atkin 12 bore sidelock. I am trying to find out as much of it's history as I can to help in his research
It is a No 2 of a pair
I don't know where No1 is
There is a name of Hodges on the action flats is this the engraver?
The choke is cyl and 1/2. 30inch barrels

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow what a beautiful sleek looking gun with outstanding walnut! Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hodges was an actioner for the most part. There is a fellow who is a Hodges relative who is doing a lot of work compiling info. on Hodges. Hopefully, he'll come by.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Atkin was a top tier maker. The stock is amazing. It might be a replacement. If you look at the transition from the stock to the checkering, it goes from used and dark at the checkering to clean and fresh going aft. It makes me think a new stock was mated to an old. It is a common repair to mate the head to new wood (fitting the head is the most expensive part of restocking). I lean to that opinion because the stock has no extension or pad.

Americans don't like that repair. Shooters and everyone else think it makes a gun ready for another 100 years.

The other point of view is the stock was refinished and the finisher stopped at the checkering. I would stop there too.

No matter how you feel about my comments, I'd have bought it and gone shooting.

Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely example of Atkin's work.
EC Hodges was a very high grade actioner to the London guntrade and so may have been the actioner who put the basic gun together for Atkins or it may refer to the ejector mechanism that Atkin favoured at one time.
If the latter, it is unlikely to still be the Hodges ejector mechanism which is famous for its unreliability and was almost universally replaced with a something more mainstream and reliable.
Atkin Grant & Lang will supply you with a copy of the ledger page that refers to the gun but don't hold your breath, the information is often very scant.

Sidelock
Sidelock

B Bob,
that looks like a fine gun, lovely timber on it!
Good old Gough Thomas, English Gun authority ordered an Atkin #3510 in 1948, and loved it....I wonder when this # 1733 was built?
Sure looks like a beautiful Gun
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

As noted above, AG&L may be able to give you an accurate date of production and other info on the gun. As best I can tell from the proofmarks, it looks like it falls in the 1896-1904 period. I see a faint "MAX" on the barrel flats, and there's no chamber length, so it has to be earlier than 1925.

DLH Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, AGL should have the records. It looks like it was proofed under 1904-25 Rules?

I believe Hodges was an actioner in the trade and worked for Atkins and executed Atkin's variation of the self opening Beesley action in 1909.

The letters H. S. on the underside of the barrels may stand for Henry Squires a barrel maker to the trade who worked for Boss and Hussey amongst others. The barrels appear to be of dovetail type, as are the barrels on my pair of Husseys.

The stock is certainly beautiful and the gun has fantastic lines- long and light, I'm sure it handles exceptionally well. Your friend is fortunate indeed to own such a fine gun.

DLH #440126 03/30/16 05:25 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

And he is in good company. John Pierpont Morgan "aka- The Nose" owned a matched pair of these "Steinways"-- Just as good as the Boss, and a notch above the Purdey and Holland & Holland, IMO. If Gough Thomas had one, that says it all, for me. Very nice!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

AGL will be able to give the date, barrel length, chokes, action type and who it was made for. I was able to obtain the above on my Atkin boxlock by email. A letter will cost. Check http://www.matchedpairs.com/double_rifles.htm
to see if someone has the other gun.
Good luck and beautiful gun. Gil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.