April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,129 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
trw999 #440252 03/31/16 04:44 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: trw999
Some first class, exceedingly well made best guns originally had dovetail barrels, some made by the best barrel makers of their day.

My contention would be that lack of chopper lump barrels should not be a bar to supposing the gun to have been of best quality. I refer particularly to original spec, not replacement/restored guns.

Tim

Tim, I think that's a point that can be debated. There were also very fine guns made that were not stocked to the fences (although this one is). Does that lower them a notch from top quality? Re the barrels on this gun in particular, given the production date of 1904, I think one might contend that the barrels on a best quality gun--whether chopper lump or not--ought to be either best quality Damascus or else Sir Joseph Whitworth steel. But I'm not positive that would lower it from best quality to something less either. Will be interesting to see what Rocketman has to say re his rating system.

L. Brown #440293 03/31/16 11:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Best work gun" for my system has been defined as best design (with allowance for further development and overlap time), best materials (with allowance for development of more advanced materials), and best workmanship (with allowance for changes in fashion). The "London best work gun" ticks the boxes for "best work" and London fashion: "top tier" London maker, top lever hammerless SLE, stocked to the fences, no through lumps, chopper lump barrels, 75%+ coverage of best engraving, outstanding quality wood usually highly colored and figured (but never sacrifice of quality for color/figure).

There are a number of issue concerning best guns that can/have been debated since back when. Chopper lump barrels are one such issue. "Best work" dovetail barrels are most certainly good enough. Choppers may be a bit better, but not sufficiently to dismiss dovetails as a disqualification from "best work." Design issue.

Steel barrels have supplanted damascus. However, we seem to have accepted that best work damascus is good enough. Damascus barrels does not disqualify a gun from "best work." Materials issue.

Somewhere out there works the poorest quality gunmaker considered capable of best work. While others may do better work, his is still good enough to make the "best work" cut. Sorta like the Dr. who graduated last in his class. Workmanship issue.

If you can accept the "London best work" as a fashion subset of "best work," we can look a bit deeper. Can a hammer gun be "best work?" Yes. Can a flatback SLE be "best work?" Yes (1890's Boss). Can a boxlock be "best work?" Yes (Greener G-gun). Can a non-ejector gun be "best work?" Yes (1880's - 1890's). Can a damascus barrel gun be "best work?" Yes. Can a gun with through lumps be "best work?" Yes. Can an unengraved gun be "best work?" Yes (funeral style guns). Can a plain figured stock be on a "best work gun?" Yes (early 1900's Purdeys). And, of course, a top lever. Oh, yes, can a "best work gun" bare a plebian maker's name? Yes (all makers could get out a best gun via the trade if so commissioned).

One of the things I look for in all (honest) guns is harmony. Do the design, materials, and workmanship all go together?

My system has 405 pigeon holes for guns. I can't say it takes in every gun ever made because I haven't seen every gun ever made. I think it takes in the Lion's share of Brit and Continental guns bade between 1890ish and 1960ish. When you can imagine/picture in you mind a gun for each pigeon hole you will have a jump start on understanding what is really out there.

Questions??

DDA

Last edited by Rocketman; 03/31/16 11:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"If you can accept the "London best work" as a fashion subset of "best work," we can look a bit deeper. Can a hammer gun be "best work?" Yes. Can a flatback SLE be "best work?" Yes (1890's Boss). Can a boxlock be "best work?" Yes (Greener G-gun). Can a non-ejector gun be "best work?" Yes (1880's - 1890's). Can a damascus barrel gun be "best work?" Yes. Can a gun with through lumps be "best work?" Yes. Can an unengraved gun be "best work?" Yes (funeral style guns). Can a plain figured stock be on a "best work gun?" Yes (early 1900's Purdeys). And, of course, a top lever. Oh, yes, can a "best work gun" bare a plebian maker's name? Yes (all makers could get out a best gun via the trade if so commissioned)."

I agree with this statement absolutely.

Boss guns squared back action, used up until around 1900: not stocked to the fences, yet top quality workmanship.

Whitworth may have been the first to use pressed fluid steel but other firms such as Siemens and Cammell turned out steel of similar quality which was used by the best barrel makers alongside Whitworth steel.

Steel all a bit topical here in the UK currently, since it seems our home-based steel industry is in danger of dying out. Swedish steel seems to be the best favoured high quality steel currently; I know Longthorne use it to mill their double barrels from billet. Very good they are too. But I digress, sorry!

This is take nothing away from Henry Atkin and the excellent work they turned out. I'm sure this gun fits the bill.

Tim

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any idea when Atkin #188X would have been made?

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

1906 as per Brown

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank You. I was just coming to a similar conclusion after reading through the Masters book. A few years prior to the spring opener Atkin patent it seems.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Henry Atkin also made lovely border engraved sidelocks at a lower price point. I have one (ordered in 1902 by an English lord/Field Marshal) for sale at Safari Outfitters for anyone interested in a highly affordable Atkin. http://www.safarioutfittersltd.com/EnglishPage101.htm

Rich
Sidelock
Sidelock

there is something so very alluring and beguiling about the bright freshness and cleanly executed lines of an english box lock...much the same as with english women...

Last edited by ed good; 03/27/20 12:49 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.