May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Lloyd3, PALUNC, btbell, 2 invisible), 392 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,524
Posts545,822
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
PALUNC Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Not sure I even have the amount needed and I am not talking possibly about a pristine example but I have a little amount of cash saved up and since the Southern Side by Side is right down the road I am interested in a possible gun purchase.
I would be looking at a Woodward or a Dickson round action.
What opinions and price range am I looking at for say a somewhat "Honest" example of one of these?
I would have least amount of knowledge with the Dickson so anyone who owns or have owned one please chime in.
Cheers

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike,
I know you didn't say MacNaughton but this one always catches my eye. When anyone says Dickson I think MacNaughton. smile

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-fo...un_id=100627272

Last edited by ithaca1; 03/30/16 06:21 PM.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you can live with sleeved barrels you can get a decent Dickson 12 for 11-14k, if you want an unsleeved example then you are in the 18.8 to 24k

I can't speak on the Woodwards as I do not watch them much.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know that one of our board members recently bought a lovely high grade Dickson in the Uk, in its makers case for under 15K. It has original barrels with good wall thickness as well. Maybe he will share pictures if we are lucky.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PALUNC

I would be looking at a Woodward or a Dickson round action.

I.m going to assume your have a working familiarity with my value system; you have been around plenty long to have read a post or two. The first point to consider is that Woodward holds Brand Value one (BV1), whereas Dickson is Brand Value two (BV2). BV1 = 1 1/3 BV2; for comparable guns JW will cost one third more than JD.

What opinions and price range am I looking at for say a somewhat "Honest" example of one of these?

"--- somewhat "Honest" ---" translates into Current Condition level four (CC4) which is defined as "Heavy use, but no abuse."

Woodward SLE's and Dickson Round Actions are mostly Original Quality grade one (OQ1) guns. BV1-OQ1-CC4 = $15,918 and BV2-OQ1-CC4 = $11,938. So, if you would consider, say, venturing into, oh, maybe slightly "dishonest" guns, post back and I'll run some guns with warts and such.

Be sure to stop by Toby Barclay's Heritage Gun booth at the Southern. If you like, we can meet at the Southern and talk Woodwards.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

You could call Dan Morgan and ask your question. He is the man for smithing Scotish guns and defacto Dickson's man in the US. He not only fixes them but sometimes has a few for sale.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would vote Dickson Round Action every time.

Contact Graham Mackinlay at: http://www.gmackinlay.com/

Graham is an honest and straight talking gentleman.

I have several RAs all purchased from him or after inspection by him.

RG

Eis Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tamid
You could call Dan Morgan and ask your question. He is the man for smithing Scotish guns and defacto Dickson's man in the US. He not only fixes them but sometimes has a few for sale.

Have any contact info?

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

valmorestate@myfairpoint.net
Dan's email.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agreed with the recommendation of Dan. He does most of Graham MacKinlay's repair work in the U.S., and he makes numerous trips to Graham's shop to know what Graham has in stock and in the pipeline. Mark Reynolds also has Dicksons in stock quite often. And as well Toby Barclay may have something in the works himself. All good trustworthy sources.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.