April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 218 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,044
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#442885 04/28/16 10:45 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have had SKB (of the DG board) recently reproduce a walnut stock for an American SXS. The wood is highly figured (feather crotch) in the butt and straight grained through the wrist.
My question is: Should I stain (dye stain) the wood or simply use my oil finish to bring out the grain?
What do most of you do?

The only constant in life is change.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I only ever stain an inferiour wood (if neccessary)
if you have a proper walnut stock, any good stock oil finish will be the best solution.
Best thing to do, if you're not certain, is to try on a spare piece of similar walnut and see what it looks like after staining and oiling

Best regards from England
Gunter

Last edited by Gunter; 04/28/16 10:54 AM.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

That stick of wood will darken up nicely and give you a nice red tone without adding stain is my feeling. I usually add alkenet root to my finish but I would go very carefully with your piece of wood. Stain could cause it to end up too dark. This is a Sterlingworth I stocked for a client last year. The wood is very similar to yours and has no stain or root added to the finish.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think actual stains are tricky and probably would not try it on a nice piece of wood. That said, I think there are few gunstocks that would not benefit from some sort of help. Colored shellacs used as filler and tinted oils (e.g. Pilkington) are good at raising contrast. One thing I tried recently was Herter's recreation of the Winchester reddish-brown; it has a filler in it and I was expecting a somewhat murky finish. I was surprised at the nice, clear contrast and color that it imparted to a piece of Claro - might go with the Herters.

Others have suggested trying several options. on scraps. Unless you already have a particular go-to finish, that's good advice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I suggest cheap wood and Mark Larson...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the late 70's when I was an apprentice carpenter, I talked the superintendent ( a gifted woodworker) into helping me build a grandfather clock. When it came time for finishing, he asked me if I wanted just the finish (in this case, nitrocellulose lacquer) or stained and then lacquered. I didn't hesitate with my response: "Oh of course, lacquer only." He then asked if he could stain one sample and compare it to a lacquer only piece. I agreed, and hands down, the proper stain, judiciously applied, greatly enhanced the color and figure of the walnut.

I'm with Gunter- you have nothing to lose by staining a small sample, perhaps one of the off cuts from the stock work.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
Sidelock
Sidelock

The natural color of the wood is ALWAYS the best way to go.
Unless a repair is needing to be blended or sap wood or aomething of the sort, there is no good reason to use stain.

The type of finishes used can have a real effect on the color of the wood.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like to stain plain walnut a reddish color, beautiful stock SKB. Bobby

Last edited by bbman3; 04/28/16 07:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Alkanet with Walnut can if applied properly produce's a wood finish looking far better than just applying a straight finish. Walnut Alkanet and an oil finish can produces a finish that improves the wood's looks far above what you would expect.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: B. Dudley
The type of finishes used can have a real effect on the color of the wood.

This statement by Brian Dudley may be the most important in the entire conversation. Take a bunch of pieces of planed and sanded walnut, and apply as many natural or untinted wood finishes to each piece as you have on hand. I did this several years ago as an experiment using clear polyurethane, spar varnish, Minwax and Laurel Mountain oil modified urethanes, Watco Danish Oil, Waterlox tung oil, Linspeed, and several other finishes. You will be amazed at the difference in the finished appearance on the same piece of wood. There will also be a difference with different species of walnut, and even with different grain or porosity within the same species. The earlier advice to use a test sample of the same wood with your choice of finish and/or stain is the best way to avoid disappointment or do-overs.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.