May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 305 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,737
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#444941 05/22/16 09:26 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I own a Marlin, lever action, 45-70, mfg. in 1975. I recently purchased some ammo from a person who reloads. I later noticed on the box that states, "for Browning 78 only". The specs. on the box are: 350 gr. bullet, 3031 powder, at 50 gr. weight.

My question is: can I shoot this ammo through a lever action gun?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't like shooting other folks reloads unless I have the necessary trust. Hodgdon's reloading site lists loads for "Lever Actions" using 3031 with a 350gr bullet from 56.5 to 60.0gr. Assuming your reloader knows what he's doing, it should be a mild load. The Marlin is a good strong gun and shouldn't have any issues.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"only" is a flag. He may have long loaded the cartridges, B 78 no need to cycle through a magazine, many single shots are loaded to suit the leade & too long for a lever action.

Marlins are strong, But I would not fire anybody else's re-loads. I would pull the bullets dump the powder and re load them my self. May want to use his 50 gr data. Hodgdons recommended are heavy recoilers.

Boats

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Boats & Hoot: thanks for the advice. I took the ammo in question out and compared the length to a factory Remington load. Sure enough, the reload was longer, by about 1/16, or less, of an inch and they do not cycle easily, or jam, if I cycle the lever action quickly.

Personally, I don't reload, so I will either dispose of these reloads or try to shoot them on the range, one round at a time.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't shoot anybody's reloaded ammo. If you don't know what's in it how do you know if it is safe? I've seen too many hot loads to trust someone else to load for me. Are the bullets what they say so on the box? I'd pull the bullets and reload them or have some one do it for me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is always the question too as to whether the bullet shape is suitable for use in a magazine.

In the past I've purchased some reloads but that is not something that I would do these days now that I have a sense of my own mortality.

have another day
Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's easy to pull bullets & brass is hard to find. If you don't have a bullet puller, Put the cartridge in your loading press no die. Run the case up so the bullet is exposed. Grab it with a pair of slip joint pliers, ones that have the round cut out in the jaws.

Lower the ram, pliers stop on the presses top, bullet pulls right out. Dump the powder re-size the case with the primer punch removed then load as normal.

Don't try to punch out the hot primer, load using it as seated.

Opps you don't reload, then give them to somebody who does.

Boats

Last edited by Boats; 05/24/16 02:06 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Hornady manual has three separate sections for 45-70 Reloading data.
1. For "factory Loads" which are safe for the trap door Springfield military rifles.
2. A hotter category for the modern lever guns like you have.
3. An even hotter category for the Browning 78.s, Ruger #1s and those make on a Siamese Mauser Action ONLY

I would not use them in MY lever gun.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.