March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Argo44, Hammergun, Lloyd3, fallschirmjaeger, 2 invisible), 807 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, if it works well for you to shoot the top barrel first, I wouldn't concern myself with it a bit. And it's not flawed logic at all. As for me, I can absolutely tell the difference in recovery time, from the recoil of the first shot, if I fire the bottom barrel first. My Perazzi is built that way, so I can't change it, but my other O/Us can be selected.

There are two circumstances, for me, where that quicker recovery makes a difference. One is a true pair of clays which are set in such a way that the second bird is an easier target, or less complex, the quicker it is shot after the first bird. One example of this that comes to mind is a situation where you have a low bird that must be shot first, then a chondelle. The nearer the top of the arc a chondelle is taken the easier target it is.

Another situation for me is dove shooting. One of the joys of it all for me is pushing myself to shoot as well as I possibly can. I'm competing with no one except myself. The ultimate feat to pull off on a dove field, for me, is taking two incomers in such a way that the second bird falls in front of me, or at my feet. Of course, doing this regularly requires planning to do it before you ever mount the gun, as you see the birds approaching. When I see an opportunity to possibly do this I say to myself "This is a two-fer". The first bird is taken well out front, then a very quick follow-up shot bags the second. A wild quail covey rise is another place I want quick recovery from recoil, though not to the extent as on sporting clays, where one bird can either get you into a shoot-off or keep you from having to be in one.

All my best, SRH

Last edited by Stan; 05/29/16 01:33 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan;
Just wondering; are the two barrels choked the same on the O/U you use for dove? While in full agreement that firing the lower barrel first should give quicker recovery, it also would seem in the situation that you describe if chokes are different it would be highly desirable to fire the tighter choked one first, reserving the more open pattern for that closer in bird.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

My 1892 H&H has an auto safety that moves to the rear to fire.
Barrel selection is never a problem, each bbl has its own trigger.
danc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Miller, the dove O/U is a 20 ga. Beretta 687 SP II with 30" barrels. I use extended chokes in it usually, just for the ease of changing. When taking incomers, like I described, I use an IM choke in the bottom barrel to take the first bird as far out as I can make myself drop the hammer. I tested myself in Argentina on two trips, trying to make myself shoot so early that I could not kill an incomer because it was too far out there. I never did find out. An incoming dove exposes everything important to you .... head and neck, breast, and wing bones. A 7/8 oz. load of 7 1/2s will kill him much farther than I can make myself shoot him, with an IM choke. I like an IC in the top, or second barrel. Many times, at the sound of the first shot, the other doves will flare to one side or the other, giving you a jiving, darting crosser of sorts. But, every now and then, the second bird will keep coming straight at you, which is classic. I have taken the first bird way out front, then taken the second and caught it in my hand as it fell ..... kinda like a high fly ball in center field. 😀

Big fun. SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I still think the barrel selector/safety on the Remington 3200 is the best. Safe in the center, left selects the bottom barrel, right selects the top. Easy, clean and safe ( and you can shoot in cold weather 'cause your glove won't get buggered up in two triggers)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan;
That makes perfect sense with interchangeable chokes. In the case of a fixed choke O/U the top barrel is usually the tightest one, so choked backwards for incomers if the bottom barrel is fired first.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

I too shoot the bottom barrel first. It started with the first double I'd ever owned, a double trigger O/U of such dubvious quality that I hesitate to mention its make. The second O/U I owned was a Citori, which is my main go to gun. I didn't want to have to try to remember what happened to which barrels, when I was doing a speed reloading while not looking (diver duck hunting can be like that).

As to recoil recovery, as most of my shooting is heavy loads of 3" non toxic shells, I absolutely believe the lower barrel is quicker to recover from.

Mergus

Duckboats, decoys and double barrels...
Sidelock
Sidelock

And standing in a skiff, diver duck hunting is a whole other thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I could get all my doubles with double single triggers I would.
I can't believe that isn't a more popular system.
CHAZ

Sidelock
Sidelock

Any sxs made with the double single system? I know about early Superposeds, and I owned a Spanish OU (Laurona) set up that way.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.