April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, SKB, HalfaDouble, smlekid, 2 invisible), 835 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,831
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#446034 06/05/16 02:20 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When I first joined this board I noted most had customized or upgraded their Parkers and next was their LC Smiths. But as of late it appears that Fox shotguns rule the roost here on this board.

No?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, people who customize shotguns are going to use them. The 16ga and 20ga A.H. Fox are among the best handling classic American shotguns made. The other well known one is Parker Bros. of right frame size and barrel length.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I know Brian, Tut, Mike Campbell and Chuck H amongst a few here all have customized or re-stocked or refinished their Fox shotguns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Treblig, I have two Fox 16 gauge guns waiting to be customized. Working my way through a backlog of issues on other guns that I think will be done by the end of this year. Then I'll be diving head first into the customized Fox challenge. I got off to a bit of a start by having PA24 re-do the barrels on one gun last year. I had been planning to send him the barrels for the other when I had another set of barrels badly damaged in shipment from overseas. Doug kindly looked after those barrels but sadly his health problems prevented him from ever getting to my second Fox barrels.

One of the guns is an ejector SW with #1 weight 28" barrels choked mod and full that currently weighs about 6 pounds, 8 ounces. Those barrels will be left with those chokes. The other gun is an extractor SW weighing about 6 pounds with 28" barrels choked IM and extra full. That gun will have the chokes opened substantially.

Still changing my mind weekly about the style and extent of the engraving I want done but the two guns will be thematically similar. I particularly love some of the unique work Dewey Vicknair has done on Foxes, reshaping the fences and receiver.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
I know Brian, Tut, Mike Campbell and Chuck H amongst a few here all have customized or re-stocked or refinished their Fox shotguns.

Let us not forget Steven Dodd Hughes and his book Fine Gunmaking Double Shotguns from 1998.
We should congratulate Mr. Tut for switching from Germanic Gargoyle-ish guns to more pleasing to eye A.H. Fox shotguns.

tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

SDH's book is what caused me to sell off a rather robust collections of Merkel's and head to the Foxes in a rush. That and reading MM's book from front to back several times. Wish I had discovered them years ago, but I never owned a SXS until the mid 1990's. Was an O/U guy for years until I got my first SXS.

foxes rule
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I remember those barrels CB, the guy just threw them into box and sent them to you from overseas.

Doug did a tremendous job on your barrels. What a tremendous loss of talent we have suffered on this board.

I can't wait to see those Fox shotguns!!!! smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't hold your breath Treblig, LOL I expect the first to roll off the assembly line several years from now. Actually, between 2 and 4 years.

Doug did do an amazing job on bringing those barrels back from the dead. I have three guns Doug did the barrel blackening on and I don't foresee a day they will leave my possession.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Don't hold your breath Treblig, LOL I expect the first to roll off the assembly line several years from now. Actually, between 2 and 4 years.

Doug did do an amazing job on bringing those barrels back from the dead. I have three guns Doug did the barrel blackening on and I don't foresee a day they will leave my possession.

I have three shotguns PA24 Doug worked on too. A Remington 1900, a Sarriguarte, and my Fox. Like you, they will never leave me either. Doug was a great man, a great talent, and a great loss to us that knew him.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: J.R.B.
Doug was a great man, a great talent, and a great loss to us that knew him.

Amen. Huge loss.

I, too, have a restocked Fox. It is a 32" barreled BE 12 ga. Beautiful gun and a real workhorse for me. I have enjoyed it immensely. I am currently reshaping a buttstock on a Sterlingworth ejector gun. The restock was very well inletted, but shaped more like a target gun buttstock. I have re shaped it into the Fox style, stained it to match the original forend, and am about to send it out to be checkered in a more Foxy style of checkering. i have taken pics along through the reshaping and staining process and will start a thread in the DIY section sometime in the future.

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 06/05/16 09:10 PM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.