April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (vern21, GETTEMANS), 368 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,167
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#446917 06/14/16 09:56 AM
Der Ami Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

We buried my Father-in-Law, yesterday. He was A WW2 veteran and Purple Heart holder. The weekend before, my brother's Father-in-law was also buried, a WW2 veteran too. These men (and women) really were the greatest generation, they raised us and our children in a country that is the best in the world- they made it so. This is two more WW2 members of my American Legion Post now gone. There are only a few left, we should pray for them, support them, and, most of all; we must keep the faith with them and not allow what they built for us to be thrown away.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Amen.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not in any way meant to disparage the WWII veterans or their generation, but what makes them better than the Generation who founded this great country, wrote us a constitution which we would be a lot better for"IF" we still followed it.
I believe that Tom Brokaw coined the phrase Greatest Generation. If he got that right it's the only thing he was ever correct on.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

The WWII people grew up in hard times and knew no others. They did what they had to do and accepted sacrifice for more than themselves. Not all to be sure but 75-80% where in today's generation you'd be hard pressed to find 10-15% willing do what they did. That war was fought up close and personal. We think in terms of drones, smart weapons, air strikes they thought in terms of small arms, arty, flame throwers and knew it could come down to a brutal slegfest.

My father recounted how he watched men drop around him left and right as he went to and across the beach. Friends lost in a second. Worse he said later in the war they landed on another island and suffered zero losses on landing. Not even a shot. He said the wait was worse than being shot at. Then it started. Slugfest for every inch. These men were determined to get the job done without fail. I fear we are not up to that measure. I hope we never have to find out again.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A day doesn't go by when I don't think of Dad who would be 93 on June 21st. If I take the long way to Mom's I can see his Arlington-style grave marker across the street at the cemetery in front of the old family home. Capt. John K. Stacy, Jr. US Army, Inf., PH OLC. He was a heavy weapons platoon leader attached to the 3rd Infantry and received his second gunshot wound December 11, 1944, just 5 days before the Bulge. He was just inside German territory when hit. After he died, I talked on the phone to one of his enlisted runners, Pete, who went on to a successful business career after the war. The last time he saw Dad was when Pete was hit by 88mm shrapnel from a Panzer. Dad scooped him up, and ran like a deer to safety while being under small arms fire. The next day, Dad was shot and spent 16 months in a body cast. Dad never talked much about the war, but we heard snippets of his experience over the years. Mom said he took survivor's guilt to the grave. If we are half the men our fathers' were, that's not so bad...Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2-piper
Not in any way meant to disparage the WWII veterans or their generation, but what makes them better than the Generation who founded this great country, wrote us a constitution which we would be a lot better for"IF" we still followed it.
I believe that Tom Brokaw coined the phrase Greatest Generation. If he got that right it's the only thing he was ever correct on.

It may because they are the Greatest Generation in living memory ?

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Look at the numbers: 16,000,000 men served the U.S. in WWII.
405,000 dead from all causes.
1776--population of the U.S.-2.5 million. 25,000 dead from all causes during the Revolution.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Approx 600,000 died in the War Between the States if the number of deaths is what determines the Greatest. Incidentally Most of these were volunteers. In WWII there were also many volunteers, but many were there because they were drafted. As I said I am not trying to dishonor anyone who has served their country, am just not ready to pick "ONE" generation & say it is "Greater" than all the rest.
I had two great Grandfathers who fought for the confederacy, I hold them in just as high Honor as I do my family members who fought in WWII, they all fought for what they believed in.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

we are lucky and privileged to live in "the land of the free and the home of the brave"...

every generation has made that possible and perpetual...

they are all the greatest for that reason...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

A recent article that was sent to me around Memorial Day listed 20 European Cemeteries with a little over 104,000 U.S. soldiers buried in them. I don't know the number of soldiers sent home for burial.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.