May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (dogon, MattH, 1 invisible), 354 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,576
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Anyone who knows better knows that the Delgrego name does not enhance ghe value of a Parker.

The only people who think it does are the ones that need all the help they can get selling questionable guns.

well dudley, perhaps it is you that should explain yourself...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

paul: agreed, batchelder does nice work...

but, so far, i have not seen where the market place will pay a premium for batchelder work, like they will for delgrego and turnbull work...

ed good #447982 06/22/16 07:03 PM
Boxlock
Boxlock

The original post asked for gunsmiths to do mechanical work on a Parker. He isn't looking to get it refinished.

I've used Steve Bertram in Boulder, CO with complete satisfaction for mechanical work on Parkers.

Steve is on this forum with the name SKB.

Last edited by Ross Goldsmith; 06/22/16 07:04 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok Ed. I will bite...

It is well known, as others have stated here in this thread, that Delgrego refinishes usually mean incorrect treatments in regards to case colors, stock shaping/finishing and checkering. Therefore, from a standpoint of accurate and correct restoration work, they miss the mark widely. Maybe the name carries some sort of clout because for years, they were one of the only names well know to work on Parkers. Not so anymore, and current day collectors and shooters are a lot wiser and up to snuff on what is correct on guns and what is not.

I see a lot of guns sit out there for sale with the Delgrego name or others for that fact, attached to them and they are not selling. So, based on my observations, it does not help the sale of a gun.

Now... In regards to me making these statements being "inordinate ambition"... It is your turn to now explain yourself.

B.Dudley
tut Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Based on word of mouth of those who aren't in this full time (very casual shooter/collector) a Delgrego restored Parker was considered the "Gold Standard" for many years.

However, to the hard core collector Delgrego didn't do it right and his restorations (restocks and redone case colors) weren't close to what factory Parkers looked like. However they had the Delgrego stamp of approval on them and many folks were willing to pay for that stamp.

Currently I'd say Turnbull does the best job of making Parkers (and Foxes) look more period correct then Delgrego does and I think for many folks they would rather have a Turnbull restored gun then a Delgrego restored gun.

That said, hard core collectors would rather have an original gun with 30% case colors unrestored then have it redone by anyone and that includes either Delgrego or Turnbull.

The reality is at at some point the two values meet. A restored Delgrego/Turnbull at some point will hit the value of a unrestored gun in a certain original condition. The question is what is that point where restoration adds value as compared to an unrestored gun and who restoration is valued the most. Guess the market dictates what that restoration value is.

Last edited by tut; 06/22/16 07:22 PM.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

dudley: perhaps i misread your intent here...if you wish further discussion then lets take it private...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Like i suspected... Unable to back up the words you speak. Typical...

The last time you and me did any private communication, way back when before you got thrown off the Parker Board. You called me an "ass sucking little twit". Why would i encourage that sort of reaponse from you again?

Anything you feel you can say privately, you can also do publicly. Dont be scared.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

tut: what you say above is all true...

as to your question, any restoration of parker case colors is probably not a good investment.

parker barrel rebluing is probably a good investment, so long as the cost is kept around $100.

field grade parker stock refinishing and recheckering is usually a good investment, so long as the cost is kept around
$200.

above applies to 12 gauge guns...smaller gauge parkers are a whole nuther thang...

Last edited by ed good; 06/22/16 07:47 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

dudley, re: "ass sucking little twit"...well, dont remember that...but, ok, if you say so...sadly tho, one who reveals the content of private communication, also reveals himself to be untrustworthy and of low character.

Sidelock
Sidelock

$100 to reblue and $200 for stock refinish...comical. No professional will stay professional for long at that rate.

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC.
Mineola, TX
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com
682-554-0044
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.