April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (bushveld, LeFusil, KDGJ), 983 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,275
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rarity aside, you're likely better off with the 16ga on the XX frame. Nice looking late E Grade!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill remember me as I just bought a gun from you. Bobby

Last edited by bbman3; 06/28/16 08:21 PM.
ithaca1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: keith
Sounds like a great buy so far. Congratulations.

Your statement "top lever right but action a bit loose" suggests that the top bolt which engages the dolls head is not worn, but the compensating screw in the front of the action knuckle may need to be turned inward a fraction of a turn. Weak, or even broken top lever springs are common in Lefevers too. If the action is tight when you hold the lever right, it may be a weak spring.

Keith,
There is a bit of play in the top lever. If I lay my right thumb against the right side of the toplever and put a slight pressure left, the barrels tighten right up and the toplever is still just right of center.

Last edited by ithaca1; 06/29/16 09:21 AM.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

Congrats on a nice gun. I have a 12 gauge and it seems to me to be as nice handling as my Thomas Bland 12. Uncle Dan Lefevers are my favorite American made double.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, since it is JUST a 16 ga, I'd be happy to take it off your hands. Just shoot me a price and turn yourself a nice profit. smile

I'm probably not kidding.... smile

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ithaca1

Keith,
There is a bit of play in the top lever. If I lay my right thumb against the right side of the toplever and put a slight pressure left, the barrels tighten right up and the toplever is still just right of center.

Yeah Bill, that's what I meant. By holding the top lever to the left, you are assisting a probable weak top lever return spring. As I said earlier, this is a pretty common ailment in Lefevers. I don't know if Lefever Arms Co. made their own springs in-house, or sub-contracted them. But I've often wondered if they didn't buy or make a very large batch out of the incorrect spring steel or utilize improper hardening and drawing. I can only recall seeing one Lefever hammer spring that was an obvious replacement, but lots of weak or broken top lever springs. Good luck trying to find a good original, but fortunately, it is nothing complex or difficult to make.

I've bought several Lefevers that turned out to be a different gauge than I thought I was buying. Some shrunk on the way home and others got bigger. Strange how that happens.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

ithaca1 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith,
This was the first Lefever I have handled, so there wasn't a specific 20ga feel I was looking for. A Flues would have had flags up for me as I know better what to expect. that is the first time it has happened to me.

That is good news on the spring. The input is appreciated.
The gun is intact enough to be a nice looker with some work.

Still on a high!
Best,
Bill

Bill Johnson
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.