March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, DaveB, graybeardtmm3, Kip, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce), 803 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jagermeister
Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe

I had a guy custom make these.

I have a sling of this type which is fine for hiking in to the turkey Woods or a duck blind and then removing it, but no way I would want to shoot w/i it on. Also works great for hauling a big tom out over my shoulder. I like Ted's type of sling for something where shooting with the sling still on might be involved.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: BrentD

Brent, I have a sling just like that one. Once I put it back on the gun and stood up to see a gobbler standing 20 feet away. I took the shot with the sling on and have no idea where the shot went, but the turkey ran off...Geo

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The whole point of the Darne sling is it is unobtrusive. Because the sling is free to move up and down the length of the barrels, and is not fixed by a hard attachment point on the barrel, like a sling swivel, it works very well in brushy conditions and doesn't snag on anything, or, at least snags on fewer things than my hat does.
It is easily removed, as well, and curls up in a pocket on the vest. I do, however, just leave them in place. There are guys who believe it is blasphemy that a sling can be used on a gun in a grouse woods, but, I do it, regularly, with my little 12.
The 25 year old guy I was didn't really need a sling on his Darne, and my first 20 gauge, didn't have one. But, the 55 year old me sure appreciates having one. My big 12 Darne is going to be restocked next year, and has swivels on it, which, I will retain and use a conventional sling. Even a regular sling is a benefit on a long slog anywhere in western MN or SD.
Gene, contact Geoffroy Gournet if you are still looking. I don't recall if your gun has the fitting installed, or, not, and if it doesn't, It would be an expensive endeavor to have it done. I won't have it done on my 20 gauge R10, but, that is a light gun to begin with.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I called Gournet yesterday. He has no slings. I ordered a regular 3/4" sling from eBay. Not authentic, but it'll have to do.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gene,
Does your gun have sling swivels? Jeff's Outfitters has 3/4" and 1" slings on the shelf. I've heard good reports about the quality.
I think I remember you saying your gun was a12 gauge R10. If it has the little oval fitting in the stock for the Bretelle Darne, it is a rare bird-few people ordered that sling for that grade of gun. Geoffroy would NOT have a spare or inventory on the shelf. But, he goes to France in the spring, and could likely bring one back. As I warned, he may have had enough of this, as sources for the components are drying up, along with the gun industry in St. Etienne. I can't really imagine what it would take to get a bretelle automatique on a gun that was here, in the US at this time, but, I'm guessing close to impossible. Make no mistake, St. Etienne as a gunmaking center is in decline.
The recent immigrants aren't big on hunting the local pigs, you could say.
The easiest would be the loop sling, truly uneffective while hunting, but, useful for carrying. The next would be having sling swivels fitted, better, in my opinion, but, not a bretelle Darne.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a 20 ga. R 10 and has swivels on it on studs, not the ones hidden in the stock.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sounds like you are money to the good to me-go to Jeff's website and have at it.

Best,
Ted

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gene, those at Jeff's outfitters look befitting of your gun. While discussing pigs, here's what the practical pig would suggest: The Claw series of slings. While canvas and leather slings are more in keeping with the history and style of your gun, they tend to slip, at least on my shoulder, requiring constant movement of the gun. The Claw stays put--ugly in comparison to leather and canvas, but because of the rubberiized construction, stays put, and because of width, more comfortable. Cost is far less, too. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought a sling from Jeff's for my 16 gauge Halifax chukar gun. It works like a dream, is of high quality, and best of all priced right.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dustin,
Were those chuckars revenge or sport kills or a combination of the two?
BTW, do you have South Georgia connections or are tailate photos de rigeur in Utah, too? ;}
Gil

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.