April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Marks_21, GeorgeGibbs505, Tim in PA, buckstix, SKB, 1 invisible), 456 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,068
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
nca225 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AmarilloMike

I do argue that if you get in a fight with a policeman and you get shot it is your own damn fault. Not that getting into that fight gives the policeman the right to shoot you but that you use very bad judgement when you get in a fight with a policeman. If you survive that shooting you should get compensation for your lost wages, medical bills, and compensation for violation of your rights. If you don't then your dependent survivors deserve compensation. But it was your own damn fault.

I disagree with your assessment on it being the person's fault. I agree with everything else in that paragraph though!

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Freedom is not free.

If we do not defend our rights we will lose them.

Much of our rights are laid out in the Bill of Rights. If we can, by administrative law, at the whim of a bureaucrat, be deprived of our Second Amendment rights we can also be deprived of our right to free speech. Of our right not to have a policeman knock on our door and search our house just because he thinks it is a good idea. If a government employee can, without judge or jury, take away my right to keep and bare arms he can take away my right to reasonable bail. He can take away my right to habeus corpus and jail me indefinitely without a hearing before a judge or a trial.

If people like you want to take away our Constitutional right to keep and bare arms take it away by repealing the Second Amendment. Don't risk throwing away the rest of our civil rights in an end run around the Second Amendment and the Constitution.

Of course I don't think you will be able to repeal the Second Amendment.

I am glad to be here.
nca225 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Freedom is not free.

If we do not defend our rights we will lose them.

Much of our rights are laid out in the Bill of Rights. If we can, by administrative law, at the whim of a bureaucrat, be deprived of our Second Amendment rights we can also be deprived of our right to free speech. Of our right not to have a policeman knock on our door and search our house just because he thinks it is a good idea. If a government employee can, without judge or jury, take away my right to keep and bare arms he can take away my right to reasonable bail. He can take away my right to habeus corpus and jail me indefinitely without a hearing before a judge or a trial.

If people like you want to take away our Constitutional right to keep and bare arms take it away by repealing the Second Amendment. Don't risk throwing away the rest of our civil rights in an end run around the Second Amendment and the Constitution.

Of course I don't think you will be able to repeal the Second Amendment.

Mike, I'm not trying to take your constitutional rights away, and again I would point out in the scenario you outlined above, none of what you fear would ever withstand judicial scrutiny.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

You criticize Republicans for refusing to pass a law that violates one of our rights protected by the Bill of Rights:
Originally Posted By: nca225
The GOP doesn't want to stop people on terrorists watch lists from getting guns to kill Americans with, all just to spite Democrats. Shameful.

Then you state that laws that impinge on the Bill of Rights wouldn't withstand judicial scrutiny:
Mike, I'm not trying to take your constitutional rights away, and again I would point out in the scenario you outlined above, none of what you fear would ever withstand judicial scrutiny.

But the Republicans should have passed it anyway?

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 07/07/16 04:52 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Once a bill becomes law it becomes orders of magnitude harder to get it overturned through judicial scrutiny. The burden is then upon the party seeking the overturn of the law. And, as King pointed out the courts are no more than another political arm of government. Who is presently in charge of the Country matters more than precedent or the Constitution. The repugs were right to kill this one...Geo

Even if old John Lewis was sitting on the floor.

Last edited by Geo. Newbern; 07/07/16 05:01 PM. Reason: added last sentence
nca225 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You criticize Republicans for refusing to pass a law that violates one of our rights protected by the Bill of Rights:
The GOP doesn't want to stop people on terrorists watch lists from getting guns to kill Americans with, all just to spite Democrats. Shameful.

Then you state that laws that impinge on the Bill of Rights wouldn't withstand judicial scrutiny:

But the Republicans should have passed it anyway?

Your presuming that I feel the watch list bill violates our rights. To the contrary, I feel it does not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your presuming that I feel the watch list bill violates our rights. To the contrary, I feel it does not.

We'd just have to agree to disagree about that. Secret lists for secret reasons and resulting loss of perceived rights. But it's all ok because you could appeal it if you find out about it...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

....Your presuming that I feel the watch list bill violates our rights. To the contrary, I feel it does not.

After watching tv earlier, I would recommend not intending to feel. Then, you can pretty much twist law, rules and regs. to come out how you want them to. Also, don't mention being contrary to anything. You can always pretend to be civil and agreeable, but not let on that only your feelings matter. Agreed?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Orlando shooter was NOT on a "watch list". He was questioned a couple times by the FBI about stuff he said and about being an acquaintance of a jihadist, and was deemed not a threat.

This same dance about denying gun purchases to people on a "watch list" happened earlier this year. Dems proposed their bill, Republicans made a counter-proposal that stopped a watch list gun purchaser for several days and required executive authorities to get a judge to sign off on the legitimacy of the prior restraint of rights. If there was error and no plausible threat, the buyer would be able to make the purchase. Neither party would support the other's bill, but the Dems made sound-bite hay by loudly and dishonestly accusing Repubs of being in favor of letting people on a watch list buy guns without restriction.

Virtually the same bills were proposed after Orlando, with the same result. Neither side will give any ground to move toward compromise, and the Dems shamelessly accuse the Repubs of giving terrorist watch list people the green light to buy guns.

It's not hard to find the facts if one takes a few minutes for critical assessment of sources. The same dishonest BS is happening now, here.

Jay

Last edited by Gunflint Charlie; 07/07/16 07:13 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Try substituting some thinking in place of these feelings.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.