April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jolly Bill, Stanton Hillis, Sun Dog), 1,053 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
james-l Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This is a strange High Number Rock Island 1903 that I acquired a while back that I am curious about who made it and when.
First the barreled action, 30-06 R/I, serial # 3444623, the barrel has no sight cut for an issue sight, it does have C120 stamped across the barrel on top about way between the funky quarter rib and the forend tip, it has never been drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. The G&H scope base is installed like G&H did , no screws or fasteners showing, however I think it may have done later as the inletting for it looks newer than the stock inletting. The bolt and follower have unusual polish work similar to scraping on machine tools, the bolt handle has been lowered for scope, the saftey has been cut down for clearance. Polishing and blue is very good. The scope is not the original one as it is a Lyman All American 4X, that it is mounted in G&H windage adjustable steel mount and rings.
The stock is Black walnut and is well fitted to the stock, inletting is good but not highest quality, the butt plate is a winchester steel plate, the Q/D sling swivels I believe are original to the stock. The cheek piece is a bit large and kind of an odd shape, the inletting for the trigger guard has a small hump where it meets the front of the guard bow. The forend tip is inlett to the stock with dove tail tenon and small wood screw, the grip cap appears to be the same material as the tip. Checkering is probably 24 to 28 lpi and is borderless, has some minor overruns, the forend pattern is odd in that it could easily have better coverage.

More photos at http://s36.photobucket.com/user/james-l/library/Rock%20Island?sort=4&page=1

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

James, no idea on my part, but I would think that the forend tip would be a major clue. Is it just camera angle, my imagination or is the length of pull short and the forend a bit boxy in shape? A nice and interesting rifle that deserves identity and thanks for sharing.
Thaine

It ain't ignorance that does the most damage, it's knowing so derned much that ain't so! J. Billings
Sidelock
Sidelock

The bolt handle appears top be by G&H and was probably altered in conjunction with installation of the side mount.

Last edited by xausa; 07/16/16 06:05 AM.
james-l Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

LOP is 14" and forend like a 0 (long oval). I am thinking that it may have been made by a talented amateur, the grain flow on it is near perfect in that it flows from the toe with a slight up sweep to the forend tip.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

It looks well done, I like the inletting, the C120 stamped on
the top of the barrel could be a "star-gauge" number. I am
going to try putting a link to a section of Brophy's book that talk
about how National Match barrels were stamped. It was possible to order all sorts of things from the CMP.

Brophy section on star-gauge markings

Boxlock
Boxlock

Thanks for the grain flow lesson, that must be what caught my eye in the first glamour shot of unknown 98.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.