March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret, graybeardtmm3, Ian Forrester, 1 invisible), 832 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#450711 07/19/16 01:56 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ring any bells with anyone? Looked at a 16ga today marked Jno. Hy. Andrew. Toledo steel barrels. Barrels also marked General Firearms Co., London & Liege (in gold). Gun is pure Belgian by the proofmarks, pre-1924. Mephisto appears to be the model name. Scalloped back nonejector gun with sideclips and Greener crossbolt. Looks relatively fancy, but has seen some use. Light pitting on the exterior of the barrels. I expect a reblue would lose the gold lettering, which is still very sharp? Thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mephisto is a German term for demon in their folklore. Odd for sure but I wonder if Jonas Andrew was the son of John Henry Andrew & trying to peddle firearms?

Jno. Hy. Andrew & Co. Limited 1904 Advert noting their Special Cast Steel for rifle tubes.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry I own a ARMAF 16 gauge detachable lock gun with barrels by the same maker marked with a proof date of 1943. I had it at the last Flatwater Shoot.

My less than fully informed opinion is they made barrels for the Trade.

Last edited by postoak; 07/19/16 08:44 PM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

From Raimey's post above, that would appear to be the case. Nothing else on the gun to indicate any British participation either making or proofing the gun. But then we have General Firearms Co., which certainly doesn't sound Belgian. And London & Liege on the barrels.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Finally, finally ran upon the origins of John Henry Andrew; I still contend Jonas Andrew was a descendant:

"John Henry Andrew(1824 - 84), who declined the Master Cutlership because of ill health,
was described in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 8 Sept. 1884 as "rising by his own industry from
the ranks...."

Henry Herbert Andrew Master, son of John Henry Andrew, brother of Joseph Arnold Adolphus Andrew.

The Master Cutler for 1895-6 is Mr. Henry Herbert Andrew, of the firm of Messrs. John Henry Andrew and Co., Toledo Steel Works Sheffield. The business was founded in 1855 by his father, the late Mr. John Henry Andrew, who retired from the trade in 1883, leaving it to his sons, Messrs H.H. and J.A. Andrew. The latter subsequently died, and the newly elected Master Cutler is now the sole proprietor of a large establishment employing some eight hundred work people. The extension of the business in late years has been greatly owing to Mr. Andrew's exceptional business abilities and untiring diligence. The principal specialities of the firm are steel wire rods for tramway cables, hauling and winding ropes, wire for pianofortes and other musical instruments and steel for making music of a very different sort when worked up into rifle barrels and projectiles. At the Toledo Steel Works are also produced all descriptions of hammers, coach and carriage springs, and similar goods. Mr Andrew is also a director in a number of companies of varied business and in different parts of the country.

Set to work at fourteen, Mr Andrew as the saying is, "passed through the mill", acquiring practical knowledge of the steel craft. Subsequently, he travelled in the markets to which the Toledo products were sent and thus got to know the people by whom they were used. To one of his most important markets- the United States-the Master Cutler has paid close upon sixty visits, although he is yet comparatively young and in the prime of life and energy. His wares are known the world over, and the honours obtained at different exhibitions include the highest distinctions obtainable at Edinburgh and Adelaide in 1887, at Melbourne in 1888-,9 and at the South African and International Exhibition in 1892.

1895 Article

https://books.google.com/books?id=P344AQ...eld&f=false

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a rather nice 12 bore sle gun,from around 1926, with the Andrews Toledo steel bbls....but no makers name on it.
Abe Chaber cleaned the gun & locks, seemed the locks were made by Britte,by the mark he found under the main spring.
I've seen a good few rather nice Belgian guns with these bbls
I love mine,its got lovely burl wood, Purdey "Nose" 3rd fastener,
bushed pins & hinged trigger...I'd love to know who made it
I love nice Belgian Guns
cheers
Franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Henry Herbet Andrew's obit from Grace's Guide:

"Henry Herbert Andrew ( -1903)

1903 Obituary [1]

HENRY HERBERT ANDREW died suddenly in New York on October 13, 1903. He was head of the well-known Toledo Steelworks, Sheffield, and his death came as a great shock to Sheffield. Since 1895, when he filled the office of Master Cutler, he took no part in public affairs.

The Toledo Steelworks, which were established some fifty years ago by his father, came under his management upon the retirement of his father in 1883. For a time he had the assistance of his brother, who died as long ago as 1889. He was a prominent freemason and a great traveller, and crossed the Atlantic something like sixty times.

He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1885."

I'm curious who was @ the helm post 1903?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

My old ARMAF is a spitting image of a J Ronge detachable lock gun pictured in a mid 1920s Ronge catalog. My guess is it was built of older parts during the Nazi Occupation of Liege. ARMAF was a successor to Ronge and some other outfit or two.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another snippet from a Golf Club thread that is approximate on its dates:

J H Andrew & Co
Sheffield
J H Andrew & Co Better known as a cutlery firm, J H Andrew & Co made some iron clubs which have come our way.

"One of Victorian Sheffield's self-made businessmen, J H Andrew started as a workman with Wilson & Sothern but, by the age of 22, was a partner with Richard Graves & Son. Around 1860 he started his own steel business in Malinda Street in Sheffield before setting up the Toledo Works. Obviously the company was involved in all stages of production as they owned the Silkstone Colliery in Chesterfield. Andrew turned down the guild title of Master Cutler because of ill health and died, in his mid 50s, in 1884(He was born in Sheffield in 1824 and died on the 6th September 1884). The company certainly continued long after his death as the clubs I have seen are from around 1910."

Another Obit:

https://books.google.com/books?id=0yNDAQ...eld&f=false

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Excellent stuff, Raimey. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.