March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (bushveld, Karl Graebner, Lloyd3, Marc Ret, dogon, KY Jon), 848 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,022
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
7 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Indeed: please stop.

I come here to talk vintage doubles and other old, unusual, interesting guns, and collection and their use, with other enthusiasts.

I - and many others - have little more than incidental interest in US politics - general or 2nd amendment- and the petty and unseemly spat's borne of political disagreement that seem to divide you and have you at each others' throats pollute what could be otherwise a really enjoyable board, and make it too often tiresome and tedious. Take it elsewhere.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
"We are in a WAR with the Libtards and gun grabbers..."

Therein lies the problem. Every difference of opinion does not require vilifying the opponent, denigrating their opinions, or attacking their character while formulating an "enemies list". And if someone lacking the cojones to use their real name attacks my family or my integrity, responding in kind just gives the sociopath more opportunities to entertain himself. And a public forum is not the place to deal with it. The most effective counter to lies is the truth...or pictures wink
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/24716095

Where I was raised it was felt to be rude to inflict even my most heart-felt opinion on another competent adult without their permission. And even worse form to harangue those who already happen to agree, but don't share the same zeal.

I think it's safe to say that 90% of us:
1. Get that our Second Amendment rights, and many others, are at profound risk. And 50 "educational" posts don't make us any more aware of that fact.
2. We are already committed to protecting ourselves and our families, and are well armed to do so.
3. We come here for diversion and double gun information, because our lives are already stressful enough.
4. We are polite enough not to feel the need to inflict our political opinions on the unwilling and uninterested. I happen to think we are rapidly nearing a (likely violent) separation of the States, but will keep that to myself.
5. When we get disgusted enough with the atmosphere here, we'll stop posting and/or leave. I suspect most of Dave's paying advertisers want information as to how many people are viewing the website.

And I think very little of what we discuss here has any eternal significance, and God is still on His throne in heaven, but this is not the venue to discuss that either.

Drew cuts to the heart of the problem. Personal denigration is ugly and offensive to me. I might want to read some posts about defending our rights, but I've been done for a long time wading in the ugliness of most threads on the topic. There's not a damn thing good comes of any of it.

Jay

cadet #451712 07/29/16 09:53 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: cadet
Indeed: please stop.

I - and many others - have little more than incidental interest in US politics - general or 2nd amendment- and the petty and unseemly spat's borne of political disagreement that seem to divide you and have you at each others' throats pollute what could be otherwise a really enjoyable board, and make it too often tiresome and tedious. Take it elsewhere.

cadet is from Australia where the Government has confiscated and destroyed literally millions of guns. I wonder if he will care about gun politics when the Government comes back for more, including his doubles???

Some folks have to be hit in the head with a brick before things sink in. Then there are those who are so thick, their heads will only do damage to the brick.

If I didn't like or care about threads on Gun Rights, I simply wouldn't click on them or read them. That is too hard for some.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith, I come here to read about and discuss all things vintage doubles; unfortunately, some otherwise enjoyable material is spoiled by political and personal spillover. We can't avoid it here even if we try. I offer opinions and discuss all manner of gun and other politics pertinent to me in a number of places, but not here. I hold opinions about American politics etc, but they're not especially well informed or relevant to me, so I choose to keep my own counsel in times and places like here and now and not trouble anyone here with them; and I don't think many people in the US really care what anyone else in the world thinks of them anyway.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In another effort to flush the chowder out from cover, this evening we propose partridge in the Rouen style on a bed of apples, accompanied by chilled dry cider.

A dead simple dish that reflects Rouen and the Departement of Haut Normandie ; lots of game shooting, apple orchards and cider making. You can have a really nice break touring the D-Day beaches, eating well, and necking the cider and Calvados.

Beginning .... the ingredients. Partridge, Coxs' apples, cream, a bit of brown sugar and of course unsalted Welsh butter. You get a lot of that in France. cool

cool

Middle .... Browning the birds in the butter; the apples, cream and sugar are ready and waiting. When you've done the browning the butter goes on top of the apples. Two hours in a middling heat oven will do you.

End ... here's you plate. This is very rich, so just a few green beans and mange tout peas are all you need. Where you get a high quality dry cider in the US is your business, I never found any. Normandy is swimming in the stuff!

After a generous shot of Calvados and some good coffee you'll forget many of your troubles and the Polish girl will look even prettier. Don't be driving the Morgan though ....

Eug

Last edited by eugene molloy; 07/30/16 10:32 AM.

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
Sidelock
Sidelock

Marvelous Eugene! I will be trying that, substituting likely, small chickens for the partridge..I will be building the Chowder, in stages, in the next few days to provide tucker for our elk camp scouting trip next week into the mountains of Wyoming. I only hope that I can do photographic justice to the process to compare with your youre! Stand by, and thank you...!!! PS: I never met a Calvados or a Polish girl I didn't like...My Dad had a +4...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Normandy in general, and Rouen in particular is just lovely. I've been an amateur rose grower for 25 years, and I was struck by the roses and other flowers that blanketed most homes in the area.

Thanks for the post, and evoking memories.

Mike

Tolerance: the abolition of absolutes

Consistency is the currency of credibility
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

A traditional chowder is dairy based. I call my version a “chowder” but it doesn’t have a dairy base. I use water or vegetable broth. I suppose it’s a stew, but “chowder” sounds more maritime. I start off by covering the bottom of a Dutch oven or kettle (big pot) with olive oil. I add a couple of chopped garlic gloves and two chopped onions and sauté until translucent. I add a pound of diced potatoes and a couple of pounds of diced fish, boneless and skinless. Supermarket tilapia or salmon is perfect. Cover with enough water or broth and bring to a roll. Cut down to a simmer and cover the pot with a top. I simmer for a couple of hours. I have also added a several bay leaves and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. I also added fresh thyme during the simmer. I strip it off from thyme twigs. It’s tedious to do, but worth it. How much thyme? I buy it in packs from my local supermarket and use about a dozen or more twigs. It doesn’t overpower, but makes a difference. Like most stews or chowders, it is better the next day. I usually get at least three meals for two from what I cook. Grated parmesan cheese or equivalent is a good topping before serving. Add a dash or two of your favorite hot sauce to your bowl. This is a wintertime treat, but breaks the monotony of summer meals as well. Onions, garlic, fish and potatoes are the necessaries. I have substituted pulverized zukes from a blender for potatoes which thickens the mix and works well. This is a one pot meal for those who hate to clutter a kitchen sink with pots and pans and prep time is minimal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great! I just ate, and now I'm already hungry again. Thanks a lot, guys!

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

De Nada!

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.