March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, GeorgeGibbs505, jcn, Argo44, 1 invisible), 843 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,018
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#451809 07/30/16 06:14 PM
SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I have finally made some progress. Went to the range with my new front sight and barrel bending jig after settling on 4 drams of Swiss and a patched 16bore ball. First time I have shot it from a bench. In times past I went to the forest but we have shooting ban in place currently due to the dry conditions. I certainly shoots to the right but not a bad as I remembered.

bending jig

Front sight is bench made, gold bead by Charles Lee.

target used to verify windage, all the shots 3-5 inches to the right were shot before any barrel bending. It did not take much, .025" bend in the middle to bring things right into line.

final shot on a clean target to verify my work

My shoulder was very sore at this point. Nice shooter while standing....kinda sucks from the bench.

and with some new screws, a stock refinish and repair, new bridle, fly and sear spring it only requires barrel browning now.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a beautiful gun. Nice work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, This project of yours in new to me. Did you rebarrel the gun? If so, would it have been possible for you to have measured runout before fitting, so that the runout could have been handled by being "up and down", and not right or left?

Nice gun, BTW.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

The rifle was converted from muzzleloader to center fire long ago. I did not barrel this rifle. No makers marks or signs of who did the conversion.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve that is a nice looking gun ,well done !

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, That's a nice job. Thanks for posting about it. One question: what kind of rifling does it have? I'm curious to know if it's a two- groove intended for a belted ball. My experience, while limited, is that those barrels can work well with a patched ball.

Bill Ferguson
SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

11 groove rifling, about 1/2 of a twist in the length of the barrel. The chamber is for a 14ga paper case but I had Rocky Mountain Cartridge turn me brass cases.

Photobucket is not working or I would post a chamber cast.

Last edited by SKB; 07/31/16 11:53 AM.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the internal comments about the barrel, I was curious if you were muzzle loading this rifle for some reason or another. In this example, can you comment if you were straightening the barrel, or if maybe you regulated it for a particular distance.

Thanks for showing it. It has a bit of a reminder to me of a 20 bore side lever single that you had offered that looked like it might have had an interesting light rifle project inside of it.

SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Well it turns out that little sidelever was sold to a man of extraordinarily good taste. He had Glenn Fewless and Doug Mann go through it and Glenn fit up an ovate barrel in .30-30 Win for it and I believe Doug is currently fitting new wood. A present to the mans son I do believe.

The barrel on my gun was bent to the right when I bought it and the front sight was missing. I regulated the load for fifty yards.

Here for the meltdowns
SKB Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

11 groove, 1/2 of a twist in the length of the bbl

Last edited by SKB; 08/04/16 07:24 PM.

Here for the meltdowns

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.