May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (liverwort, prairie ghost, Bill Davis, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 663 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,629
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Has anybody tried either of these? I held both boxes of 10 shells each and the TM was noticably heavier. I would like to use one or both of these in my vintage guns, none of which are damascus. Which shot size would you use in both of these for ducks and wild pheasants? I was thinking of 4s or 5s. Kent says the bismuth is "suitable for fixed choke and high grade barrels" and the TM is "safe for use on older nitro-proofed or high grade, fixed choke barrels". Are these the only or best alternatives to the RST bismuth that are no longer available. Cabelas has the Kent bismuth at $1.80 per shell and the TM at $2.00 per shell. There will be no practice at those prices.

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

You didn't mention gauge, but I just bought two boxes of Bismuth from RST this week.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have some of the old Bismuth Cartridge Co shells as well as Kent TM in both 12 and 16 gauges.

I have no worries using either in my vintage guns from the standpoint of damage to my barrels from the shot.

I have a great deal of concern about using them in vintage guns because of the pressure levels and recoil forces generated as these are modern loads of 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 ounces. As such I don't use them in my older SxS.

All I had to do was crack one stock before I figured it out.

edit to add: That's specifically why I have a few modern guns.

Last edited by canvasback; 08/27/16 01:14 PM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Canvasback:

What are your thoughts on the 12 gauge, 1oz loads of Bismuth offered by RST?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: OldMaineWoodsman
Canvasback:

What are your thoughts on the 12 gauge, 1oz loads of Bismuth offered by RST?

I don't have any because until just a few months ago, RST of any type were not available in Canada. RST now has a distributor but so far, to get an exact, specific load, one must special order the entire flat.

And given that I already have a ton of the old bismuth and Kent TM in waterfowl loads, I'll be focussing on ordering in flats of low pressure lead in 2.5" shells for my 16 gauge guns.

Another problem is shipping. RST is in the east, I'm in Ontario and the distributor is in Alberta. That means the shells go all the way across the continent and then come most of the way back. That part sucks too.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kent's Tungsten Matrix hits birds like a freight train, but its potent stuff so I use it sparingly through my Nitro Special.

For waterfowl I use the Tungsten Matrix to knock the bird out of the air and follow up using the RST 2 1/2 inch Nice Shot (To dispatch wounded birds) but for upland game I use lead saving the non toxic stuff and my gun and my pocketbook for waterfowl.

Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I will be using it in a 12 gauge Sterlingworth (F&F), Ithaca NID (M&I), Parker Trogan (M&I) and maybe a low end Charles Boswell (M&I).

I am not worried about damage to the barrel from the shot but I am worried about pressure. Two have original stocks in very good condition and the other two have new replacement stocks. Any idea of what kind of pressure these shells generate.

I am gald to hear RST has non-toxic shell again. I will look at them. Thanks.

Tom C

Aldo Leopold
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would only use these non-tox shells when hunting waterfoul or pheasants in a WPA.

Tom C

Aldo Leopold
Sidelock
Sidelock

My notion of abuse of old guns is 2 3/4 Kent TM 12ga. Mystery to me why Kent gave up the sweetest 12ga TM load, the 2 1/2 inch 30 grams No 5s, fibre cup. 7500psi, perfection. Favoured 16 handload Rem hull, Longshot, one oz bi, 7000 psi 1175 fps. Anxious to try Kent's bi.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, I emailed Kent once and they sent me the pressures but I subsequently lost it.

I can't remember the specifics but its steep. When they say 'MAX' they mean it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.