May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Southern Sport, Mike Harrell, 1 invisible), 218 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,364
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#456235 09/13/16 08:51 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think I remember reading somewhere here or? about some problems with this model.local dealer has a 10 ga with 32" barrels it looks to be in pretty good shape other than some bozo cut the stock way to short n put a kick eaze pad on it!any responses will be appreciated.thanks,
tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use to think the frame cracking problem with Flues Model Ithaca doubles was only in the very light weight smallbores. Then I snagged these letters on ebay --

Sidelock
Sidelock

anybody know the whereabouts of Mr Biggs's gun.....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

That is an interesting exchange of letters. Thanks for posting it.

Mergus

Duckboats, decoys and double barrels...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Were Ithaca gun guaranteed for life in those days? Sold 11 years earlier. I know that it most likely not heavily used so must be near new in condition. People tend to take good care of grade 4 guns. And ten bores are somewhat limited in use. Not much Dove and Quail hunting done with a ten. Western MD might have a few ducks but most likely this gun only got used when visiting down by the Cheseapke Bay or down on the Outter Banks.

When did the higher pressure factory loads come out? This might just be a case of a gun designed for 8k loads getting a steady diet of 10-12k loads. Super X, progressive powder loads could be the real culprit not weak design or defect in materials. I think this type of failure reflects why Ithaca brought out the NID to handle heavier factory loads with much higher chamber pressures. Their barrels were always up to the task it was the frames they were beefing up.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: mergus
That is an interesting exchange of letters. Thanks for posting it.

Mergus

Yes interesting but also disappointing and another example of a Flues failing. I always liked the Flues over the NID in my experience although the Flues I had in 20 gauge (built in 1925) was outrageously heavy and so was the NID in 16 gauge (built in 1937). But the 16 gauge Flues I had was perfect, however I cannot remember and I didn't write it down what year that 16 gauge was built.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The 1 5/8 ounce, progressive burning powder, high velocity Super-Ten load came out about 1925, just as Ithaca Gun Co. was transitioning to the NID.

Back in my college days I watched a Native American fellow shooting 3 1/2 inch Magnum-Ten cartridges in an ancient Damascus barrel Crass Model Ithaca along the flyway out of the Stratford Wildlife Refuge week after week, and last I knew Johnie still had all his fingers.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.