April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Longknife, Der Ami, canvasback, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 406 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,459
Posts544,986
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm still without a field, but that's OK.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The HOA frowns on harvesting the neighbors wink

The little Inca dove are moving through right now
http://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/inca-dove

Surprisingly, not a lot of Eurasian dove in the NW valley. Dale is likely knocking 'em in the SE valley.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely. Shooting tomorrow afternoon after church. Report will follow.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Had a small family shoot up at the farm in middle GA yesterday. My son Trent and I loaded up an assembled tri-pod deer stand another ground blind and a boat and drove up in one pickup truck pulling a utility trailer. We must have looked like Steinbeck's Joad family moving West.

Lots going on; the deer club members were mowing out the roads and food plots, and turning the ground for planting. We put up the new stands and went then to my brother's farm next door. He'd planted a small field with corn, browntop millet, and bird milo just for the shoot.

Great barbeque lunch and a fantastic shoot. I tried out a damascus Greener 16ga that Steve Bertram had just finished a beautiful job of barrel browning on. It is a light gun and the 1oz. loads kicked a lot. I did not shoot too well but most folks including two of my sons got limits.

One more weekend of special Teal season in GA and then I'm heading out to Saskatchewan for geese and ducks in October...Geo

And some people say getting old sucks. Heck with that!

Sidelock
Sidelock

One more limit today for the 20 ga. 687 SP II Sporting. It's been a good first season. That's it now, until Oct. 8th.

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Took nine with Bismuth, very expensive, but fun anyhow.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shot a limit of doves yesterday afternoon with a Model 23 Heavy Duck. Giving the gun its first workout on live game before it heads to Manitoba in a couple of weeks.

The mod / imp. mod choking on the 23 did ok. I am torn between just leaving as it is, having the chokes opened to ic / mod, or having it tubed. Frankly, I am not sold on the utility of having more choke choices on gun that will be used mostly as traveling duck gun.

I have used a Model 21 on my prior shoots. They have all been limit shoots, but not barn burners. 9" of rain 2 days before opening day did not help and having a neighbor cutting corn and digging peanuts disbursed the birds a little. It has been good so far. I have enjoyed seeing old friends and meeting a couple of new ones.

Did see an interesting L. C. Smith yesterday. Pretty gun. Unfortunately, the owner was having issues with the gun doubling. Had a single selective trigger that will need some professional care.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Marshgrass,

I shoot a similar gun for ducks, a 30" bbl. BSS, 90% of the time. Have for years. When I got it, it was choked Mod./Full. I am not sold on the idea that having two different choke constrictions are all that useful in the field, for doves and ducks. I had it opened up to .018" in both barrels, light modified. I've shot 3" steel in it for years, and those chokes work perfectly. I would never spend the money on having it tubed. I shot 10 teal with it earlier this week, and lots of those shots were close. I missed a few, yeah, but I killed a few going away that I couldn't have with open chokes. Would I have been better off with an open barrel and a tight one?, No. So many times the birds are upon you before you have a chance to choose a barrel. Personally, I'd just as soon they were both choked the same for sporting clays, doves and ducks. YMMV.

Good to have you posting here. You over around Estill?

SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

Went Saturday. All the easy birds are harvested around here. A few high altitude dive bombers still left. Took my Ithaca 20/30" Flues and used those tight chokes for all they were worth. Only got nine birds in about 20 shots. All high pass shooting shots but all the misses were my error or just a bird who chose that second to dive straight down. The birds were coming into the field 25-35 yards up and diving straight down into the feed plot. Once they got into the field they flew about two feet off the ground and were unshootable.

My son got his limit but since he was using his Bernelle black auto I told him it did not count. We have our standards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

2 Doves, 2 Blue Wings & 2 Pigeons. We, as did most around, were able to squeak out a few. Incessant heat & drought seems to be keeping them @ bay for now.

Harvest Moon just prior to sunrise.

Benjamin's 1st pigeon

It's been say 10 years since I've gotten low on hunting dogs & I'd say this year will be the beginnings of the changing of the guard. Skimmin' thru many of these threads made me pause & think that I guess my Christmas wish would be to field all the Best Dogs I've had under my command, & possibly all the dogs, on one day of hunting. And I've had the pleasure of having dozens upon dozens.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.