May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (earlyriser, Jimmy W, Gunning Bird, Ian Forrester, Borderbill, 1 invisible), 412 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#457562 09/26/16 06:57 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My new-to-me drilling came with a Carl Zeiss Jena 6x42 ZF, claw mounts and mated to the gun. I am extremely satisfied with the optics - in decent daylight I can easily see the staples holding the target from 100 yards away. Grouping and consistency are also excellent.
While I want to and will work on my shooting a little bit more before monkeying with the settings, I am left to wonder which of the two knobs atop the barrel of the ZF are windage and which elevation. Unlike standard American scopes with one on top and one on the side, these are both on top and aligned with the centerline of the barrel.
Thanks in advance.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave,
I believe the old Weatherby scopes were made by them; maybe you can find English instructions for one of those.
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the lead, Ami. Let me share what I've found.

Turns out the Weatherby Imperial scopes were made about 1964-73 by Hertel & Reuss, a high-end optical manufacturer then of Kassel and now out of the scope business. The Hertel & Reuss name continues not as an independent company but as a trade name owned and used by a successor company. They finish opera glasses in Marburg an der Lahn. https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hertel_%26_Reuss Other, later Weatherby scopes were made in Japan (not that that's necessarily a bad thing).

The Imperials share with my Carl Zeiss a similar arrangement of knobs. Interestingly, the ocular-end knob is for focusing. The objective-end knob controls both traverse and elevation. That knob has 2 concentric dials, one for traverse and the other for elevation. The inner knob appears to want a special tool (naturally). I have not yet found instructions anywhere, especially for which direction of the knob moves impact which way.

So, it seems adjusting the load and my shooting might be easier and more reliable than trying to (a) find a special tool and (b) guesstimate how many clicks and which way....

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 09/27/16 05:18 AM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave,
Thanks for the info.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is this the kind of scope you are referring to?

It was made by Carl Zeiss in Jena and it has only an elevation adjustment. The other knob adjusts the focus. This is the kind of scope Zeiss furnished BRNO for their ZKK 600. 601 and 602 rifles, with special windage adjustable mounts to fit the integral bases.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.